Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Failed Hair Follicle Test after 91 days - labcorp

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SLD3009, May 22, 2016.

1. #1 SLD3009, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    I subjected myself to a hair follicle test after my attorney told me I should take one. He told me to make sure I had 90 days clean and to go take one. I'm just trying to clear my name after my ex made stupid allegations toward me and my husband - allegations that have already been cleared, btw. I was not required to take this test - it was just advised.

My husband was not happy that I even agreed to it, but I'm going to listen to my attorney's advice. Not going to sit here and say I was a light smoker (like most people on these sites claim), because that's not the case. I smoke almost nightly and I smoke high-grade wax - I never smoke green. I don't use any other drugs. About me - I’m female, Caucasian, 5 6' and weigh 135 pounds. My hair is long (mid back) and dark brown. I did not use any special tricks to help me pass - I just QUIT smoking altogether. Honestly, I didn't smoke AT ALL. NOT ONCE.

OK - so I quit smoking on 2/9/16. I go to LabCorp on 5/9/16 (91 days clean) and take my hair follicle test.

The Lab tech cuts 2 HUGE chunks of hair from the TOP of my head. She took the sample with regular desk scissors and she didn't cut the excess hair off (submitted a lot more than 1.5 in more like 7 inches). I leave in tears because I'm honestly upset about my hair. Despite all of this, I am completely positive I will pass and be able to move on with my life. I still didn't smoke after I took the test because I wanted to have the results and know I passed, for peace of mind I guess.

May 16th rolls around, no results. They said it would take no more than 5 business days. Fine, no biggie. May 18th comes around, still no word. But this point I'm annoyed, wtf is taking so long? On Thursday May 19th I get a call from CO (I guess where their lab is - I'm in Texas). They tell me a doctor needs to speak to me regarding my results. Doctor tells me I failed for THC. Ummm, what? Seriously, not expecting this at all. They told me the cutoff was .1 pg./mg and I can't remember what the guy said my level was (more than .1 obviously). I get the results and it says

Carboxy THC, Results - POSITIVE, Screen - 10, Confirm -10

Cocaine, Results - NEGATIVE, Screen - 10, Confirm - 5 (WTF????)

I'm so pissed off at this point. And I'm convinced I had a botched hair follicle test. I called another place in the city I live and ask them about their procedure for collecting hair for a HFT. They take several very small - unnoticeable clips of hair from the back of the head - they also use special scissors. I told my attorney about the results. He advises tells me to go to another lab and take another test. My husband is FUMING at this point and thinks it's completely insane I'm even entertaining the idea of submitting another test.

I went to another lab yesterday. The lady looks to see where the first sample was taken from, and was shocked. She said if I got that test done on the 9th of May, the patch of hair shouldn't be 1/2 inch long - meaning the first test wasn't taken close enough to the scalp. I showed her the test results from the previous test and she asked me when the last time I used cocaine was! I laughed because at this point it's almost humorous. I respond "I don't use COCAINE!" She said the LabCorp results indicate there was cocaine in my HFT, but below the cutoff (whatever, I don't use cocaine!!!). She was very nice and was very cautious about where she took the samples from, making sure it was unnoticeable. She also cut off the excess hair, sending only the required 1.5 inches. I should have the results by Tuesday.

I know this is a long post, and I apologize for that. But PLEASE make sure you pay attention to the person collecting your sample. ASK them how many times they've done this. Pay attention to every detail. Do not assume they know what the hell they are doing. Also ask them to discard the portion of hair not being used. So, yesterday was 103 days without smoking, let’s hope this time around goes as planned. I'm NOT taking another test. I am running out of hair. Going to my house in Colorado first week of June and fully intend on enjoying myself - no matter what the results are.

Fingers crossed.

2. Cocaine says negative. So I have no clue what you or the tech are looking at.

I have to ask if you don't have to take a test then why? If you really think you should then why for the love of god do a hft????? How is a pee test not be sufficient? You know..... A test I know you could pass easily.

3. I get it. Its completely ridiculous. I just hadn't heard of people failing after the 90 day point. as for not understanding how to read the test results, idk. I'm 37 and have never had to take a drug test in my life. So chalk it up to inexperience?

I was advised by my lawyer to get the HFT - but wasn't required. He said pee tests were too easy to beat. Trust me, I know how crazy it sounds. Just trying to prove my side of the street was clean. Nothing changes regardless of the outcome, but it makes it easier for me to request a HFT for the other party involved. It's complicated...

Moral of the story...it's possible to fail a HFT after not smoking for 90+ days.

The end ;)