Extra T5 HO fixtures.. worth it?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mindismoving, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hello all, i'm about to start my second grow, this time around using all HO T5's because i had major heat issues last time with the HPS. i have a 24" 8-lamp T5, 16,000 lumens, that's going to serve as the main light source for two plants. i'm planning on supplementing the sides and bottom areas with CFL's, but i'm also thinking about getting 4 - 6 of these: Sunblaster T5 Fluorescents, a grow light for plant propagation / cloning and seedlings at Sunburst Hydroponics

and putting one in each corner, oriented vertically along the support rods of my grow tent, and maybe a couple more mounted horizontally along the sides of the tent. the tent is 4' wide x 2' deep x 5.5' tall. my question is, what is the maximum effective distance for these types of single-tube T5's? would it be worth it to use these to supplement the shaded lower areas of the plants as opposed to CFL's with home-made sheet metal reflectors? the CFL's will probably be able to mounted closer to the plants, but T5's have greater intensity (if i understand correctly). anyone have any ideas? suggestions? criticisms? i'd love to hear from anyone with legit ideas! thanks folks.