Experienced Rdwc Growers: Help

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by mollytree, Sep 23, 2014.

1. #1 mollytree, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    EC is 1.0
    pH is 6.0
    Water temps are 68*
    I run Flora Series 3 part
    I also add Rapid Start, Orca, HydroGuard, SuperThrive, and Silica.
    I ran h2o2 to sterilize system, which improved root growth. Three days later, I added hydrozyme. It seemed to make everything worse. My roots don't stink, the water is not frothy, nor was there any slime. I have switched out my 100 gallon rez four times within two weeks.

Attached Files:

2. Update:
    I contacted general hydroponics yesterday and talk to a rep. I was told that my most likely problem is I have a pathogen in my water creating this issue. He said it could be anywhere from my well, to the pumps that transfer my water all the way down to my system. He also said it could be an airborne disease. What the f***. I was also told a few things like in DWC systems air stones are not needed and actually cause more problems than help.I was told to cut all supplements out except for the 3 part FloraSeries and rapid start.I was also told to get Flora shield and run that in the system. I'm really tired of the company and decided not to buy it and run h2o2 because it seemed to work for me last week when I tried it.
    so my plan of attack is to treat my r\\o water with h2o2 for 48 hours before I mix any nutrients into it.

3. Are you aerating the water at all besides recirculation?

That looks like severe root rot.

You could add some h2o2 into a mister and spray the roots with it.

Also using any zyme with h2o2 is counter productive. The peroxide will kill anything those zyme products will have to offer.

There are a few growers who use pool shock on here with great success. Its cheap and extremely effective.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

4. #4 mollytree, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    I have 2 3804 gph airpumps.
    Each gallon has 3 liters per min or
    Each gallon has .8 gallons per min
    Each gallon has 5watts
    I run more air then most people.

5. When it started did you notice how many seemed to be compromised?

Those are some beefy air calcs!
    That's like me... Im pushing 140 LPM in a single tote for 1 plant lol.

"Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."

1000 watt Scrog Journal

6. Not sure the root of your problem.  No pun intended.  But I have been told the same thing by Canna reps about not needing airstones in rdwc if you are exchanging enough water.  I had a similar problem and it was from using their "rizotonic" with too much air.  Apparently when using this product you don't want the air.  Seems so against anything I know so I cut out the rizotonic, and it cleared up.  Could be the same issue with one of the products you are using.

7. update:
    the first day I put hundred milliliters of hydrogen peroxide. The second day I put in 30 milliliters. Today is the third day I put 200 this morning and another 80 tonight. 35%. nothing is getting worse and I do have some new white root growth. But I still have plants with big sections of the routes that are still brown. I'll try and get a pic later

8. Hi

I run two10 sites 5gal buckets rdwc for some time now. Air is a MUST. I folow the rule that on every liter of solution in system there must be 1/2 l per minute of air suply. Read this:

"From the testing that I have done I have figured out the minimum required air that you will want to use. In these calculations I've taken into account that depending on your environment, your water temperatures will vary. The warmer the water is, the less Dissolved Oxygen that it can hold. I make my calculation in Liters so we will think about it this way here. Each 5 Gallon bucket in the system that you choose to build, will hold a maximum of 4 Gallons of water and in terms of Liters, that would be 15 Liters. Now you want to multiply the amount of buckets that you are going to use by 15 Liters. For example if you are using the 12 plant system, then you multiply 15 Liters x 12 buckets, which would give you 180 Liters. For whatever application that you choose to use, you want to use an air pump rated at half of those liters per minute. So in a 12 plant system you want a pump rated around 90 Liters per minute. You do not have to enter the control bucket into your calculations because the waterfall that is created by the water pump going into the controller supplies all the Dissolved Oxygen that you need. If you are using more than 6 buckets, I would suggest that you spend the extra money and get the Alita brand air pumps. They really are top of the line and it is a minimum expense for what you are going to get out of your yield and product. If you want to go the cheaper route, then any air pumps rated at the calculations above will work."

Also read on clorine use:

Anyone who doesn't use live nutrients or supplements in hydroponics, I would advise to keep a residual level of 0.50 PPM Chlorine at all times as a preventative measure against plant pathogens and future root problems. Always remember that too much Chlorine will kill your plants and you never want to put more than 1.0 PPM of Chlorine for large healthy plants. Cuttings and smaller plants are more sensitive to Chlorine and you will want to keep only 0.50 PPM of Chlorine so that you don't risk killing them. My dropper gives 22 drops / 1 mL of liquid. Before giving Chlorine to small reservoirs you will want to see how many drops per mL your dropper gives so you give a safe amount of Chlorine. My dropper gives a 0.50 PPM of Chlorine at the rate of 1 drop of Clorox Bleach / 2 Gal. To give 0.50 PPM of Chlorine using Clorox Bleach, the equation is 1 mL of Clorox Bleach / 44 Gallons. Always take into account if your tap already has Chlorine in it and adjust your equation. Remember in a well aerated solution, Chlorine naturally disappears in 3-4 days so add in your Chlorine every 4 days as a preventative measure against future root and pathogen problems. Add this to your normal schedule and you will see how hard it is to get root problems again.

I folow this rules and never had any problems with root pathogen. I dont use chillers so in sumer time temp of solution goes to 74F.
    Also don't complicate with too much nutes. I use GH Micro and Bloom in 1:2 ratio from start to end. Read on Lucas Formula.
    You must know that pathogenes are always present in water but they will only get nasty if you create nice enviroment for them.
    Ph must be stabile and is best kept at 6 in rdwc.

As i can see you wont be able to do a decent crop from that roots.

Use clorine. I add 1 ml of CLOREX BLEACH in 140L of solution every second day. That keeps Clorine level at 0.5 PPM all the time.

You will need to clean system good with H2O2 bath then use clorine bath at high concentration of clorine .

You MUST not stres your girls with PH swing Nutes lockouts and similar or pathogens will come back. 

Sory for bad english but it's not my native since i live in Europe.

9. here are the pics I was going to post.
    I'm seeing a little bit of better grow but I'm still seeing a lot of brown I'm going to continue to use the hydrogen peroxide (h202) until all Brown is gone and then I will switch to hydroguard. What I'm worried about that I have seen before and causes a problem is the small clump in the roots in picture 3, can anyone tell me what this is or is from? Its the pic with the smallest roots and It's on the left hand side of the roots.

10. here are the pics I was going to post.
    I'm seeing a little bit of better grow but I'm still seeing a lot of brown I'm going to continue to use the hydrogen peroxide (h202) until all Brown is gone and then I will switch to hydroguard. What I'm worried about that I have seen before and causes a problem is the small clump in the roots in picture 3, can anyone tell me what this is or is from? Its the pic with the smallest roots and It's on the left hand side of the roots.

Attached Files: