Experienced Co2 Users

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by airtrixx, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hello people, I Have a Co2 question. I know Co2 is great for plants, i am wondering how well it is absorbed by the roots of the plants. See I use an air pump for my hydro system and recently realized only one of the two outlet ports on the pump were pumping air so i decided to dissemble it and fix it. Never really realizing how it worked i found that it would be extremely simple to integrate the pump to pump oxygen from one port and Co2 from the other port OR a mixture of oxygen and Co2 from each port.

So with that said, would it be worth the time to make the modifications to pump Co2 directly to the roots or into the nutrient solution? Would it have the same effect as pumping the Co2 to the air surrounding the leaves?

If so i would be pleased to document the procedure and post for anyone interested.

2. Roots love oxygen.......not co2. If you infuse your roots with co2, it will eventually kill your plants.

3. Exactly right. You want the heavier C02 to fall over your leaves, soaking them in C02 rich air. The C02 passed to the roots through the stems, facilitating nutrient metabolism. Transfer has to be inside the plant, through the leaf stomata. I am a real believer in the positive effects of C02 on bud production, myself.

gm

4. Cool, Thanks for the heads up, Not much of a horticulturist yet.

5. So what if i used pure oxygen instead of the Co2? better effect? or is our breathing air ideal?