EXIF data... Feds Tracking Cellphone Pics?

Discussion in 'General' started by canadabud, Mar 10, 2012.

1. #1 canadabud, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
    Am new here and felt like a complete dumbass so I thought I'd share. I've been taking pictures of my stash and sending it to my friends to show off and one of them pinpointed almost the exact location where I took the picture on Google maps.

Turns out it's information iPhone stored in exif data called geotagging..

For seasoned tokers it's probably old news, but for inexperienced ones it may be useful information, apparently feds use this for drug busts.

I checked some pics on the site and many of them don't hide exif data, in this thread I found some traces (eventhough it wasn't the location I got the camera model and date of the photograph).

tl;dr

disable location services on your iPhone

2. Unless you have several pounds I would not worry to much the feds have better things to do then bust some guy with an 1/8th

3. Yup, this has actually been going on for awhile. Unless your taking pictures of pounds upon pounds of weed or nukes-in-progress or some sort of illegal underground midget wrestling league, you should be ok. But just dont take pictures with your phone, get a camera.

4. especially if you're in Canada :)

I was surprised I didn't know this though, I'm in IT and never heard of this thing in the past. Was wondering if I'm the only one who's so uninformed

5. Uh oh. You never saw me here.

:hide:

6. do they really? :rolleyes:

7. i see what you did there :smoke:

8. aw yeah

9. Just turn location services off for the camera and you can still use other location functions.

10. this is one the reasons i say

fuck apple.

11. Note to self delete pics folder....

12. It's rippers you should worry about, unless your growing a shit load of weed, then yes that is a problem.

13. Lol, are you aware that Android does this too? It's easy to turn off and iOS gives the option when you set it up.

14. "i'm selling dope, straight off the iphone!"

15. true.. the only difference I noticed when switching to Android is that they REALLY drill it down when you first turn on the phone. Although I heard iPhone started emphasizing the risks more also.

I lol'd at the "sell dope straight from my iPhone"

16. i email any pic i put on the internet to myself then screenshot it before i upload it

17. [quote name='"TheDankDude"']Yup, this has actually been going on for awhile. Unless your taking pictures of... or some sort of illegal underground midget wrestling league, you should be ok...[/quote]

Uh oh! Im in trouble.

18. Easy Exif Delete is a program I use on my PC. There might be an app for that. If I wasn't so lazy I would check the market/appstore and tell you. Heard about these type of watermarks along time ago when Microsoft got in trouble for using photo software in Windows that belonged to another company.