Examples of great sentences

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by bahookahjoe18, Jan 1, 2012.

1. When I read a book, I love when I encounter a very aptly-written section.

Post some sentences, phrases, segments, paragraphs, chapters, etc. that you find to be remarkable.
    -------------------------------------

From Insomnia by Stephen King p.556

The "unmusical crash of glass pendants" struck me as very descriptive. I realized that if "unmusical" had been omitted, I would have heard the sound as wind-chime like.

2. -Christopher Moore, Fluke

3. :smoking:awesome shit. I'll be back here...

4. Bahookajoe, you come up with some great thread ideas :D

Some H.G. Wells:

5. I'll be back....

6. Every experience is a paradox in that it means to be absolute, and yet is relative; in that it somehow always goes beyond itself and yet never escapes itself

- TS Eliot

7. #7 Smokey_mctoke, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    More of a full quote than a loose sentence but still:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

H.P. Lovecraft

8. #8 420stonedpanda, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain"

Bene Gesserit Litany against Fear - Dune - Frank Herbert

And this is a bit from Isaac Asimov's memoirs. The last line sends a shiver up my spine every time.

"The Earth should not be cut up into hundreds of different sections, each inhabited by a self-defined segment of humanity that considers its own welfare and its own "national security" to be paramount above all other consideration.

I am all for cultural diversity and would be willing to see each recognizable group value its cultural heritage. I am a New York patriot, for instance, and if I lived in Los Angeles, I would love to get together with other New York expatriates and sing "Give My Regards to Broadway."

This sort of thing, however, should remain cultural and benign. I'm against it if it means that each group despises others and lusts to wipe them out. I'm against arming each little self-defined group with weapons with which to enforce its own prides and prejudices.

The Earth faces environmental problems right now that threaten the imminent destruction of civilization and the end of the planet as a livable world. Humanity cannot afford to waste its financial and emotional resources on endless, meaningless quarrels between each group and all others. There must be a sense of globalism in which the world unites to solve the real problems that face all groups alike.

Can that be done? The question is equivalent to: Can humanity survive?

I am not a Zionist, then, because I don't believe in nations, and because Zionism merely sets up one more nation to trouble the world. It sets up one more nation to have "rights" and "demands" and "national security" and to feel it must guard itself against its neighbors.

There are no nations! There is only humanity. And if we don't come to understand that right soon, there will be no nations, because there will be no humanity.
    "

9. The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

-Oscar Wilde

The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.

-Sven Goran

Write drunk; edit sober

-Ernest Hemingway

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

-Lewis Carroll

:)

10. Buffalo buffalo Buffalo

Buffalo the animal
    buffalo as in intimidate
    Buffalo the place

Great sentence, its only one word!

11. "Yossarian pulled back from Orr adamantly, gazing with some concern and bewilderment at Mt. Eta instead of Mt. Vesuvius and wondering what they were doing in Sicily instead of Naples as Orr kept entreating him in a tittering, stuttering, concupiscent turmoil to go along with him behind the scheming ten-year-old pimp to his two twelve-year-old virgin sisters who were not really virgins and not really sisters and who were really only twenty-eight." - Catch-22

lol gotta love Joseph Heller's sense of humor, long sentences, and diction

12. "Life is parallel to hell but I must maintain" -nas

13. #13 BudOnSteam, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
    "Make worth of your birth." - Me
    Its more of a philosophy