evolution!!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trillyen, Apr 20, 2009.

1. I read an article in skunk mag that says that once you produce seeds for future grows for your self, the seeds will be more adapt and acustomed to your grow enviorment.

Im wondering how many generations of seeds does it take to do this, if just one generation, then can u name and make that strain that of your own??

this is the goal im shooting for a strain of my own, and i want to get a 35-40 % THC, and a 30 % cannibinol count, but im not sure how to measure THC, do u have to break the plant down chemically or something

Any way sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum im just wanting to know this, but im a long way off from breeding, and propagation.

thank you!!!

2. I'm in now way an expert on growing mj, but I do know a thing or to about evolution. Evolution is a slow and gradual change over a long period of time. For some species it takes millions of years to evolve and develop more and more beneficial traits. Hypothetically, if your grow op was isolated from all other strains of mj as to avoid reproduction between your plants and other plants, divergent evolution or speciation could occur. This would involve years of mj plant generations as to form distinguishable traits. You could infact create another species that cannot reproduce with the cannabis plant. How many years of generations will it take, nobody really knows. As for creating your own cannabis strain, this may take years as well, although probably not as long as it would to break off from the species entirely.
    Hope I helped.
    Harry

3. hey welcome to GC man, and thanks for the insight

yes im knowing it will take years but i seriously wanna produce like the highest thc strain there is

i think i can do it it will take alot of trials but its possible look at greenhouse lol, in no way am i saying im on there level of growing the meds but i do want to try to get on that level, and i will exceed my own ambition

thanks for the insight tho!!!

4. +Rep for the ambition bro, lol.

5. lol, thanks, and no doubt it can be done itll just take me a decade to do it but im on a mission to strive for the most potent meds i can grow

i want them to have like a red colored hair, and like a bright neon purple leaf look also, dont know how im gonna pull that off ya know

i just always think and have thought if the weed looks good, and it has a nice color and smell it basically speaks for its self, but my god if the high is spiritual to than u have some outstanding meds that will not only speak for there selves, but the consumers will do some rambling on about the meds also, and that can lead to recognition, and recognition, can lead to popularity, and popularity can lead to respect, and respect can lead to cannabis cups... hopefully!!!

thanks for the props my guy!!!

ill give u a free sample when i get there!!!

6. To breed the best, start with the best.........here's a good one:BC Seeds

7. #7 toastybiz, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
    Actually, the most significant evolutionary changes come in rather short intervals -- if an adaptation creates a true competitive advantage then that advantage asserts itself immediately, and those with the adaptation will thrive to the detriment of the others. But "long" vs. "short" periods of time are relative, even the very shortest interval will take several generations if not more to take hold.

But what that article is describing is not evolution but your own artificial selection process. If you are growing several plants, some will naturally be more suited to the grow conditions in your space than others are. The ones well suited will thrive, and you will select seeds from those plants, not randomly but on purpose, and you will ignore the seeds from the other plants.

So you have manually selected for the traits that work well in your grow space. That is not evolution, and that is not the creation of a new strain but rather the continued selection of the same strain for its particular characteristics. Possibly, over a very long time and multiple generations of such careful manual selection, you will have selected for certain traits so effectively that you could develop what would be called a new strain, but finding the plants that do well in your grow op and culling those seeds for the next generation is not a new strain.

8. Try making the largest most THC/CBD level AUTOFLOWERING HUGE yielding SATIVA that is really disease/mold proof so it can easily be grown underdoors!! So MASSIVE resin production, I want to see this seed come out from you with a picture of the resin just DRIPPING OFF! Dripping, hell no POURING OFF! GO GO GO GO GO! WE NEED YOU!

9. cool ill check it out after this post man thanks!!!

wow, nice insight sounds good and i think ill be up to that challenge

when it does become my new strain ill have to sell my grow conditions that this strain do the best under cause if the strain gets use to a certain set up, and is then seeded and grown in another, it wont thrive like it would in mine

basically it veggies in a cfl room with mylar, and flowers in a flower room with a 600 watt hps super bulb

but itll be more to it than just that i wanna have a certain criteria for nute on MY STRAIN, and the whole 9

thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and for letting me know that it really aint impossible

thanks alot
    ha ha very funny, ill show u

i dont know if the resin will be pouring off or not that would be kind of messy, but i wanna make them super big like almost the size of a end of a q tip, lol

yep thats what i want!!!

10. Even though your plants will be the same strain, that strain will have various phenotypes. One of those phenotypes might be better for your area. Just select the right plants to propagate seeds from. If you make seeds from the healthiest plants, you will be selectively breeding the phenotypes that best suit your area. There is not really a set amount of years to get a strain that best suits your area, each round of plants will make the strain better and better. You might want to throw some new "blood" in your strain from time to time because you don't want to inbreed your plants to the point of weakness.

Best Regards,
    Indica Kid