Everything I Need to Know About Bongs

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by amw999999999, May 25, 2011.

1. I have been smoking for about three months now, and I already smoke on almost a daily basis. I already have a really good piece (an incredibowl m420), but I really want to invest in a good bong.
    Despite the fact that I smoke very frequently, I'm still completely ignorant about certain aspects of it. Bongs are a good example.
    Basically, I want to know everything about bongs. What they are made out of, how big they can get, whether it's better to have a carb (most bongs do right?), what accessories bongs can come with, what types of bongs there are, ALL of the different features that bongs can have (so far I've heard of bongs having ash catchers, ice catchers, percolators (inside vs. outside?), and I have no idea what they are), what sizes of bowls are you can fit your bong with, how to clean a bong, if you need a screen or not, how wide bongs can be, how thick the glass on bongs can be, how big the joint size can be (what the hell does that mean?), and anything else you can think of.
    Tell me which is better too: glass vs. plastic, internal percolator vs. external, large joint size vs. small joint size, ect...

Thanks in advance! I know this is a lot to ask for. I always appreciate a fellow stoner helping out a green one like me (no pun intended).

2. Wow. Um, here's a start at least.

-Glass > plastic. Borosilicate (aka Pyrex) is the best.
    -GonG (glass on glass) joints are the way to go. No rubber seals to wear out. Sizes are 14.4 and 18.8, sometimes called 14 and 18 (or 19).
    -Thicker glass is better. Look for at least 5mm.
    -Screens are good to have. They come in metal and glass varieties.

I'm bored now, someone else step in :D

3. #4 flammzrant, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
    i wanna help...
    heres a little start http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/607132-grommet-vs-gong.html
    ice catchers (aka ice pinches or ice choke) arent that big of a deal IMO.
    most glass bongs do not come with a carb, carbs are just a nuisance IMO, so glass on glass is better as stated above.
    ive never seen an ash catcher as part of a bong really, they're separate attachments.
    slides (or bowls) and downstems come in 18mm and 14mm so stuff has to match up.
    stemless bongs (no downstem) are becoming more and more popular, i love the look of stemless ones.
    theres tons of different types of percs, i'll link you to a thread about with good info on it (idk what you mean by external ones) http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/543633-pictures-perculator-types-youve-seen.html
    also, larger joint sizes like 18mm allow for fasting clearing/less drag. drag is basically how difficult or long it takes to clear a hit http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/820990-how-drag-produced.html

searching the forums with key terms will give you a lot of info.
    ummmm i might come back later