Ever Say a word so much it doesn't sound like a word anymore?

Discussion in 'General' started by InVinoVerita, Jan 10, 2011.

1. This may just be me, but if I pick a word and say it out loud repeatedly, after a while it will not seem like a word to me any more.

I just said "exactly" like 15 or 20 times, and now it doesn't seem to make sense as a word itself.

Has anyone else ever done this?

2. Hip, Hip, Hip, Hip.

It starts to lose its meaning.

It's not even a word anymore.

3. i tried this with the word CUNT.....ODD THING THE MORE I SAID IT,,THE MORE MY OL-LADY HIT ME,,,...

therefore i must disagree,, the more you say some words the more you really do understand thier meaning,,,:cool:

4. Haha i figured there would be SOME exceptions :smoke:

5. chicken
    chicken
    chicken
    chicken
    chicken
    chicken
    chicken
    chicken

...yeah, I see what you mean.

6. i fail to get any meaning out of that ;)

7. Weird, right?

8. Yup, I do this all the time. I think it's interesting, kind of reminds me that words only have meaning in their context, otherwise they're just funny sounds we make with our mouths.

9. Glad it's not just me! :p

10. klutch.

Kllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttcccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

11. I just tried this with french and spanish words.

Oh man now im even more lost :smoke:

12. Satan
    Satan
    Satan
    Satan
    Satan
    Satan

Hmm...doesn't seem to work with that one.

13. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...oh fuck.

14. Candyman, Candyman, Candyman :devious:

15. Lmfao, made me laugh.

16. I used to do this on long car rides when I was a kid. I loved how much of a mindfuck it is.

The only word I remember repeating over and over is broccoli.. broccoli.. broccoli.. broccoli..broccoli

17. #19 of montreal, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
    i'm right now listening to grateful dead's candyman. gods fucking with me.

a lot of people don't realize the depth of this repetition phenomenon. you can take it and apply it to other things, not just words. thinking about or looking at people, faces, names, ideas, yourself, humanity, and reality typically have interesting results. this might kind of fuck up your view of the world, and help you reconsider what's real and what isn't. it's easier if you're high but give it a shot.

18. Legit mindfucks are great :smoking: