Euro Mp Jailed In Cannabis Battle

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by weedboss, Mar 27, 2003.

1. AN Italian Euro MP was today behind bars in Manchester for refusing to pay a fine for possessing cannabis.

Marco Cappato, 31, was led away in handcuffs from the dock at Stockport court yesterday after magistrates said they had no alternative but to jail him for seven days.

Minutes later he was put in a van and taken to Manchester Prison, formerly Strangeways.

Cappato, from Milan, was arrested in December 2001 along with fellow Euro MP Chris Davies for possession of cannabis.

The two Euro-MPs handed themselves in to police as part of a protest in support of Stockport cafe owner Colin Davies.

A judge at Manchester Crown Court later fined Cappato and his fellow Euro MP UKP100 and ordered them to pay substantial court costs, or face seven days in prison.

Mr Davies paid the fine and costs and Cappato later paid his UKP1,335 costs, but refused to pay the fine.

Before being led away in handcuffs by two security men, Cappato - who was dressed in a blue suit and tie - said: "I paid the costs because I do not want to be a burden on the British taxpayer, but there needs to be a change in the law on cannabis.

"So much money is wasted prosecuting people for tiny amounts of cannabis. I went to the police station with a very small amount, not even enough to make one joint, and the effect would have been less then a pint of beer.

"I am not going to pay the fine. For me the choice was clear. The decision of the court was pay the fine or face seven days in prison."