Ethical Dilemma (NEED URGENT HELP)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BloodSweatTears, Apr 24, 2010.

1. There are so many reasons to go ahead with the grow that I won't list them. I can appreciate how much time and trouble you have already invested in your project. However, if I am not mistaken, you have already agreed to postpone/cancel your grow. Maybe, I don't understand but I don't see the dilemma. The only real 'ETHICS' involved is whether or not your father and girlfriend can believe what you tell them. Your word is your bond with others. Your integrity is so valuable, why would you surrender it so flippantly?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Um,....some folks respect their parents wishes more than they covet growing weed.

3. My thoughts exactly

4. Ok after reading all the posts, looking at the poll, and thinking a lot about the whole situation, I am that much closer to my decision.

It seems one side says that continuing the grow will be ok because i am growing outdoors and there isn't much risk of anyone else besides me getting in trouble. "Whatever dad doesn't know won't hurt him ect..." The only reason I'm stopping is because my dad wants me to; I'm an adult and I can make my own decisions.

On the other hand, the other side says that morality plays an issue in the grow and even though I am not really putting others in danger, I still shouldn't do it based on principle. Most people on this side think that I am growing in my dad's house (which I'm not) and feel that I am putting my dad and anyone else who I've told in danger, but, don't all growers put someone or something in danger? If you're going to base your entire argument on the chance that I get caught, can't we use the same argument for all growers? Should nobody grow because Murphy's law says that whatever can happen will happen?

5. Well, never said I was going to stop growing, just that I would get them out of the building. There are in fact ethics involved; Do I stop the grow out of respect for my loved ones, or Do I continue the grow because I have a better understanding of the whole ordeal and can judge that the chances of anything bad coming of this are minuscule.

6. That's the beauty of the human brain AND karma. The brain will tell you if the decision you made was right , or wrong (ya knopw that feeling you get,...inside, you know).

Karma will deal with the decision you made :D

(nope, not a hippie, don't even like the Dead,lol)

7. If you want to grow, grow. It is a fun hobby, and as long as your respectful of others' rights, beliefs, property, and freedoms, then I'd say go ahead.

If you go your whole life and live for others, you will have a lot of regret.

8. Ummm, you're the one that called it an ethical dilemma. Yes, morals and ethics should provide guiding principles for all big decisions in your life.

I don't see that. You said you will do it outside, but I still don't see on whose property. So that still could get him (or whoever else's property you grow on) in trouble.

The difference is whether you have the right and responsibility that goes with the risk. If you grow and put someone else at risk without them knowing about it then that is pretty low -- imagine if one day you got arrested out of the blue because a relative robbed a bank and somehow used your car for the getaway without you knowing about it, pretty shitty huh? You don't want to do that to someone else, that's the difference.

I'm reading you rationalizing. Yes, you have two schools of thought -- those who say "ah, growing is no big deal, you can do what you want", but since you called your situation an ethical dilemma then you have to acknowledge that there are no ethics at work in that viewpoint. I sure hope this isn't a case where you really had your mind made up beforehand and were hoping to get enough "support" for your decision here but you will go ahead anyway even if without that support.

Respect your father's wishes or disrespect them, that is the crux of your choice. Which one sounds like it would be the best solution to an "ethical dilemma"?

9. #29 Got Milk, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010

Thank you for reinstating what i previously mentioned. Ofcoarse we cant decide what the outcome of our decisions are going to be, be we can make a pretty fucking good assement of the situation and decide from there.

He is growing away from his home or work.
    He isnt leaving any tracible evidence at the grow site that could be linked with his father.
    His an adult. He is breaking the law noone else.

So how is his dad involved exactely?

And i think assuming there is no chance his dad can get in trouble is a safe assumption to make..

Therefore making the introduction of ethics and morals irrelevant and rendering the poll useless.

10. You are in Australia, so I assume not fully familiar with U.S. laws. In some jurisdictions here, the law allows for confiscation of property used in commission of a crime, regardless of who owns that property. The idea behind such a law is that the property would be sold at sheriff's auction to help pay for the prosecution of the crime it was used in. That's not the law everywhere. but it is the law in many places here in the USA and so very well could drag his father (and his house) into the deal. It has happened.

11. My point exactly:
    I inferred that during the initial conversation with the dad, he had to have agreed to stop the grow. He hasn't admitted as much but I can't believe it happened any other way. We all have been there. When our fathers know some shit about us that we don't yet. One day your dad may agree to all of this but in his mind he has reservations about your ability to pull it off.

All you have in this world is your word. If it's worthless, than so are you.

I think he's painted himself into a corner where upon detection, he can't save face if he continues with the grow. I voted for him to give in and stop the grow.

12. Good point, I always forget many of us here are in different countries.

GM, If they raid a grow house, the state keeps the house. Same if you are selling/buying drugs from your nice new truck.

Bye bye truck.

13. I guess this whole thing has been an obvious choice in ethics; really, I just wanted other, outside viewpoints. I probably should have went with a different title and maybe I would have gotten some different responses.

Obviously the right, ethical decision would be to not continue with the grow (duh), but in this case I really chose the wrong way of going about making my decision. My dad is always going to be against me doing anything he thinks is wrong, it's in his nature to do so, but if I always do what others advise me to do, I would be living one shitty life; this was my decision to make. One of the reasons I started this grow was because I wanted some joy and excitement in my life. Going out to my grow spot at night time is like a secret mission and it gets my heart going. This was something I wanted to do and it's unfortunate that my dad had to find out about it in the first place.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I'm going to continue with the grow. Sorry if any of you think I wasted your time or something, but I really appreciate all your efforts to help.