Eric Holder

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by S-i-D, Aug 12, 2013.

1. #1 S-i-D, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    http://news.yahoo.com/top-u-lawman-outline-drug-offender-sentencing-proposal-040126447.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/12/holder-to-call-for-changes-in-drug-sentencing-guidelines/

"The Justice Department plans to change how it prosecutes some non-violent drug offenders, so they would no longer face mandatory minimum prison sentences, in an overhaul of federal prison policy that Attorney General Eric Holder will unveil on Monday."

""I have mandated a modification of the Justice Department's charging policies so that certain low-level, nonviolent drug offenders who have no ties to large-scale organizations, gangs, or cartels, will no longer be charged with offenses that impose draconian mandatory minimum sentences," Holder is expected to say, according to excerpts of his prepared remarks provided by the Justice Department."

Is this real life???

2. one step closer to freedom

3. Most likely not. Holder is just running his mouth. Things will continue to be business as usual if not get worse.

4. #4 S-i-D, Aug 12, 2013
    Yep. Mr. "I don't know"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWaINuQRl0[/youtube]

Hopefully not this time though, we'll find out today I guess.

5. #5 weedwhacky, Aug 12, 2013
    Well, that's a step in the right direction, Holder To Announce New Policy For Non-Violent Drug Offenders.  Interesting comments there.

Not to sound negative, but it will be fun to watch and see if the people who make money off the private prison system will now begin to open lots of "rehabilitation" institutions to handle all the cases that get referred to them as an alternative to any prison sentence.  

This already happens, which inflates the "teen in rehab for marijuana addiction" statistic.  But the reduced sentencing guidelines might really give a boost to the scammers that run SOME of these rehab places.

Apparently Holder will deliver "multiple speeches this year", proposing a broad overhaul of the criminal justice system. I'm trying to avoid reading between the lines, but hoping that this is meant to hint at maybe rescheduling Cannabis.

6. Doubtful look how their policy is on states that legalized it still knocking down dispenseries doors and everything else. Holder is talking out of the side of his mouth as usual. About the only thing they will do is erase minimum mandatory sentences but that's just federal each state still has it's own laws on it. 

7. We'll see what happens, but as for the raids in Washington that you're talking about, those dispensaries have been raided before, have been caught selling well over the limit allowed, selling to people without cards, and other stupid things that violate both state and federal laws.  They were asking for it, basically.  Not trying to defend the actions of the feds, but in some cases, like this, it is the individual's fault for not knowing the laws.  Anyway, hopefully this "change of policy" will result in less arrests and keep people out of prison who shouldn't be there.

8. #8 llllllllll, Aug 12, 2013
    Nothing astronomical was announced. As expected. Cannabis was not reclassified from schedule I. 

How can we as a country be slowly legalizing weed, and just today announcing a reform on how non-viloent drug offenders are prosecuted, and yet still have cannabis labeled as a more dangerous drug than crack?

9. The president and Holder cannot reschedule cannabis. Unfortunately only congress really as the power to do that. And as we all know congress still has a bunch of prohibs. This does however, put a bit of stop to overzealous federal prosecutors who have a huge grudge against cannabis, like Mrs. Hagg in California or the US Attorney in Montana. This may even be somewhat of an answer to how the feds are going to treat CO and WA.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. More smoke and mirrors,,until he removes the incentives to law enforcement to arrest marijuana users the war is still on and drug criminals will continue to fill our jails awaiting the decision  to prosecute or not by a federal prosecutor and this does nothing for state laws,,each state would have to change their own laws for this to have any impact.

11. I hope this is for real :)

12. IMO, anything is better than what we've had the last 70 years...getting the feds to soften at all is huge....

13. I believe he already gave his speech alongside Hillary Clinton I fell asleep did anyone watch it???