ensuring female sinsemilla in a big crop outdoors

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mosaicAce, Mar 2, 2010.

1. do you have any tips for doing this? are the male flowers easy enough to spot? when should i start checking my plants daily for males? will males flower earlier than females?

2. I sex my plants at (+/-) 60 days before they go into the ground in mid-May. Lots of web photos to learn that process and over the years I've averaged about 90% accuracy. The males I miss do flower before the females in mid-late July and I chop them as they show.

3. yeah i'm sure i'll be able to tell males and females apart, what i'm more worried about is how quickly the males will mature and wreck the crop.. if like one or 2 of them pop before i can yank them will they all be ruined? the plots will be spread out

4. umm yea... you'll have seeds if one or two pop... and pollen can carry pretty far... so unless they're WAY away they can get pollenated as well... the males generally flower earlier than females, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time telling ballsacks from pistils

5. if u can get out there every 2-3 weeks and look you are fine and yeah its a piece of cake lol once you do it once and see one male bud on ur own shit ur good lol just keep watching like the top 5 nodes or so and soon you will be able to spot males just by the way they hold themselves lol and if ur using good genetics then being late for 1 flower isnt a bad thing...it just means next season you get to save the few hundred bucks on seeds

the best way to tell though is males will be the first to spread the topmost leaves and look like its starting to bud. you will look at one plant from the top and see 2 leaves in the very center and on the other you will see what looks to be some budding but hopefully youl c a preflower before that point

6. if its a big crop though you might as well get or make ur own clones...i mean yeah u miss out on hybrid vigor but you wont have to even think about sexing

7. do i have time for that? i have 80 bag seeds i've saved up and am kinda looking forward to the variation in genetics..

thanks for your help guys