enlcosed closet grow temps to high. any ideas on getting it down?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Rekomsdub, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Greetings fellow GCers---first time grower indoors using cfls and am having quiet the time trying to regulate temps (using CFLs go figure).

My grow space:

3x3x12high  closet
    500+watt 6500k cfl (watts are true watts not listed watts)
    100+watt 2700k cfl (watts are true watts not listed watts)
    because the ceiling in the closet is so high and I was losing a lot of light upwards and having a tough time mounting lights I built a make shift "floating ceiling" and painted it white.

My temps on the ground are now about 90f give or take 5 degrees in either direction and that is not going to fly.

any suggestions or criticisms you guys may have would be awesome. I will try to upload a couple pictures of the set up in a little bit

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. #2 1sttimegrower, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
    You need ventilation. Oscillating Fans or rotary towers. Something to chill, something to remove hot air. Use LED's otherwise.

A question though. With over 600 watts, why not use an HPS(Assuming it fits in your space). An HPS with an inline fan or two to draw bulb heat away can be cooled quite well. One fan on the glass takes care of the rest. And this way you'll be actually sucking heat out, instead of pushing it around and hoping it'll escape up n out in the turbulence.

3. I had a little oscillating fan in there and it just pushed the hot air around. the problem is space and money keeping me from going HID. I have kind of accrued all these bulbs over a pretty long time during previous grows offsetting the cost a bit. the first line of my post was supposed to say " first time grower in a closet" I have always had a window or something to vent out of. this is stumping me pretty good.

4. ps thanks a lot for the speedy response man. I appreciate the advice I am going to throw another fan in there for now and hope some one has a work around because I don't have the money to completely change up my lighting now.

5. As mentioned in the previous reply, ventilation is going to be key - for both proper gas exchange and temperature regulation. A couple of inexpensive fans will certainly help, and if directed on to the plants properly will help strengthen their branches, which can be the difference in success/failure when flowering.

How many plants are you intending on growing in that space? The photos make me think that you could scale back on those lights a bit and reduce the heat in the process, but of course that all depends on how many plants you want to grow in there. I've grown 9 plants in a space of a similar size with only 3 6500k CFLs that I switched over to 3 2700k bulbs when it was time to flower. The 2nd time around I threw 2 12'' T5 fixtures in on the sides as supplemental light and had slightly better results than the first time around. Both harvests were excellent.

If you are concerned that reducing the amount of lights will be an issue, you could consider lining the space with an IR blocking material or other film with a highly reflective surface. Doing so will help make the best of the lighting in use.

6. #6 1sttimegrower, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013
    If space is an issue, mount spare computer fans on the back walls. I didn't think you'd throw a fan INTO the space (really limits total space) but rather have one in front of it, slightly angled up. If you do throw a fan inside though, blowing outwards, it'll probably be the most effective. If you plan on only doing one plant and screen of greening it (LST varient) you can easily do this.

7. I was thinking about suggesting the computer fans (always have a ton laying around at work and have used them a lot growing in the past,) but noticed what looks like 3M mounting tape on the back wall and assumed that there was an effort to cause minimal damage to the space, and having to mount them would likely cause a bit.

As far as putting a fan in to the space, I'd suggest one of those inexpensive window fans (the kind with the 2 fans side by side). They are pretty compact and can lean against a side wall to direct their airflow towards the plants at an angle so the air flows directly through them. You can then move the fan around as needed, in order to accommodate the plants or make space for yourself while tending to them, and then use it as a regular window fan when not growing.

Just a thought - and I'm literally thinking it out as I type this, but is there any clear space on the board you have your lights mounted on? Perhaps drilling a few holes in it and mounting 120mm PC fans there to draw the heat UP and away from the plants could help too? That, combined with a fan towards the floor (which would ideally draw some air in, at least from the space between the bottom of the door and the floor) could feed fresh air in and push the warmer air up higher where it won't affect the plants? I guess the next question is where the warmer air would then end up since there doesn't appear to be an exhaust duct or anything, but it may be worth giving some thought.

8. You might want to step down your operation to less plants and less light until you can get a proper setup.  I mentioned ice in your other thread, I've seen people use milk jugs with frozen water but in smaller rubbermaid grows.

9. Get a HID light with a vented hood. Dont look back.

10. DUDE!! ::light bulb:: that is such a great idea venting through the board. The temp above the board is def colder. i have two little fans in there now trying to find the best way to organize them and figure out an exhaust option but going through the board is brilliant.

you guys are awesome for all these ideas!!

11. @[member="Rekomsdub"] have you made any progress on your temp issues?