End of death?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Superjoint, May 22, 2005.

1. </HEADLINE><DATE>May 22, 2005 - 1:05PM</DATE>

Death could become a thing of the past by the mid-21st century as computer technology becomes sophisticated enough for the contents of a brain to be "downloaded" onto a supercomputer, according to a leading British futurologist.

However, he told the Observer newspaper today, this technology might be expensive enough to remain the preserve of the rich for a decade or two more.

Among other eyebrow-raising predictions by Ian Pearson, head of the futurology unit at British telecommunications giant BT, is the prospect of computer systems being able to feel emotions.

This could eventually involve such things as aeroplanes being programmed to be even more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

While the predictions might sound outlandish, they were merely the product of extrapolations drawn from the current rate at which computers are evolving, Pearson said in an interview with the newspaper.

"If you draw the timelines, realistically by 2050 we would expect to be able to download your mind into a machine, so when you die it's not a major career problem," he said.

"If you're rich enough then by 2050 it's feasible. If you're poor you'll probably have to wait until 2075 or 2080 when it's routine.

"We are very serious about it. That's how fast this technology is moving: 45 years is a hell of a long time in IT."

As an example of the advances being made, Pearson noted that Sony's new PlayStation 3 computer games console is 35 times as powerful as the model it replaced, and in terms of processing is "one per cent as powerful as a human brain".

In views which those of a religious persuasion might find hard to handle, Pearson said the next computing goal would be to replicate consciousness.

"Consciousness is just another sense, effectively, and that's what we're trying to design on a computer," he said.

"Not everyone agrees, but it's my conclusion that it's possible to make a conscious computer with superhuman levels of intelligence before 2020."

One of the "primary reasons" for such work would be to give computers emotions, Pearson said.

"If I'm on an aeroplane I want the computer to be more terrified of crashing than I am so it does everything to stay in the air until it's supposed to be on the ground."

2. Not sruprising really. Techonology and information are moving at an exponential rate, and soon it will reach infinity. Basically if we dont kill/heal the world first, we will all be in "the internet" where our consciousness is inside a computer chip and we will live in a virtual world where all our dreams come true. Sounds pretty cool actually. lol :smoke:

3. Ive always wanted to upload data into my brain, like languages or history or some other usable knowledge. Im not sure im ready to live forever on an Ipod. Scary

4. I wish I coulda been born back in the late 70's, early 80's so I wouldn't have to deal with all technology shit that's coming up in like 2050 and stuff.

5. word

this shit is scary

6. thats crazy dude.

7. Ah, not bad.. But will there be virtual weed to smoke? & will it be legal?:smoke:

8. LoL, actually in that situation our minds can do anything.. so just by thinking about it you could be high. Its just like smoking a J in a dream, you'll still get high even though its not "real".

9. That would be nice, but it still sounds a little too matrixy for me. Puttin my mind in a computer chip... Idunnooo..

BTW NM you've almost hit 1000 posts. :cool:

10. Yea I guess I'm getting pretty close to 1000 :smoke:

Here's a question for ya though; whats the difference between your consciousness being in a body or a virtual body? Once you realize that your body isn't the "real" you, its not that scarry of a concept. Do you think your "dream" body is the same as your "waking" body? ;)

11. this is scary stuff...what if the plane developed a nuerosis about landing?...if you give a computer emotions then you open it up to all sorts of new 'bugs'...

and bugger being d/loaded onto a computer....someone would find a way and a reason to hack your very being...
    so in conclusion...not for me thanks....:smoke:

12. Yea, that would suck LoL

13. Idk about all this. Im skeptical about being able to download your mind into a computer. I think that even if they think they know what human emotions and free thought is that doesnt mean they know how to download a 'mind' into a computer. I just dont think that it would be compatable.

14. if there's no emotion, then that's not really staying alive, it's word processing.

15. Yeah I believe if we get our minds advanced enough we can just become high by thinking about it. Or fly or breathe underwater. I'm more of a spiritual person than a scientific person although I do sorta believe in evolution..wierd lol.

16. If it did happen, I figure it'd have to be closely guarded. Imagine how easy it would be for one person to destroy hundreds of lives. Unless they can put you on a backup disc to lol.

17. Same here, to be spiritual doesn't mean you have to always have "blind faith" in something. In some ways science and spirituality (religion) are all coming together. Metaphysics is a branch of science that add a touch of spirituality in it.

LoL :D

I think before *that* could actually happen we would need some sort of revolution where people rid themselves of greed and possesions. If you break it down, war is the main result of material possesions and greed (lust for power over your common man, money etc..) Because in order for everyone to live in freedom in this "virtual world" people will have to stop wanting to control people.. or before you know it when your in one of your fantasies an add will appear wanting to you buy a new brand of digital software :smoke: