Emo/hxc/screamo music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Mattplusness, Sep 10, 2008.

1. yeah i dont care if you bash me for liking the music i like.
    that being said, anyone else listen to any of this?

I want to know some more underground bands, small myspace bands that are actually good

i really don't feel like posting my library since i have probably 1000 songs from the emo genre, so just post some bands/songs

2. your advertising your own forum in your sig...........? and 1000 songs is nothing kid i got 10x that in my library and thats not counting all the cds i own

3. Definitely not my thing, that music tends to spark and embrace all the negative thoughts that come to my head, and then keeps them there. I like music that keeps me positive.

But i'm all for expressing yourself, and music is one great way of doing so. Judging what music someone listens to would be like judging someones lifestyle.. not my cup of tea ;)

4. 1. it's been there for a long while and nobody took it down and no mods asked me to take it down
    2. i wasn't bragging, just stating i don't feel like posting all the small bands
    3. good job bringing some good in put to this thread, you reply was very informative and helpful, thanks

5. first off, I used to listen to this type of music all the time. went to all the hxc shows in my town and really dug it. then I got out of high school and realized how apathetic a lot of this music is. I didn't enjoy high school at all and listened to this music because I could relate to how much I disliked many things about my life. I got out of high school (a place I hated) and realized how these guys just keep whining. I say: Man up. It is you and ONLY you that can make you're over-all life happier. While this music still can be fun to listen to on occasion many of the musical writing have the same basic hooks and idea's behind them. Overall things get to sound all the same and I realize that the music aspect isn't that creative either. Many other genre's, although they don't portray that cool new scene haircut, have much better written music. I am a sort of music major and I can tell you that most of music from these bands, in theory, is sub-standard.

once I started to get into the hardcore music that there really are no dynamics in most of this music. I kept looking for heavier and heavier because most of the scene hardcore bands are dudes running with their crews and being little girl boys. Finally I discovered metal. its better than hardcore because it is definitely heavier than the other bands but it actually has dynamics. there are usually beautiful slower softer sometimes jazzy parts to a song but also the most intense riffs and breakdowns the HXC scene never heard.

All in all, this music is great for helping people get a personal feel for music but lacks in the actual MUSIC department.

..just my 2 cents.

6. #6 chronicman00, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
    Some of its pure garbage that sounds like no effort was put into the music other stuff like 'the number twelve looks like you'(theyre more grindcore) and 'saosin' have some sweet guitar.HeavyHeavyLowLow is pretty tight too

7. agreed

8. I definitely dig some number 12.

9. Yeah I agree with you man. I like some metal but I can't listen to hardcore, screamo/emo. Seems like most people mature and grow out of that scene and music. Although I'm not one to talk; there are a lot of people at raves that don't want to grow up either it's just in a less whiny, depressing, violent, emo-y way.

I've never understood why a person, if so depressed, listens and surrounds themselves with such depressing music. I don't know about other people but I'm really sensitive to music, it affects my mood a lot.

10. #10 Feelin'Alright, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
    I used to enjoy this kind of music back in the day, say around 15-17 years old, back before it became cool to be "scene" or whatever. People used to hate that kinda music and anything without melodic lyrics and singing. I remember first listeneing to Atreyu, A7X, Underoath and those guys NO ONE I knew even heard of them. Now it's so fashionable and I see it as the new mainstream. The day these bands started hitting major radio stations I gave up on it. I occasionally listen to some of the stuff I have but I have yet to buy anything recently from the past 2 years or so. The only band I can still respect in this sea of comformity is Alexisonfire, but more and more Dallas Green is getting the majority of vocals, as I was noticing on Crisis. In another year or so this stuff will be in the back of peoples' minds, much like the grunge/garage/alt. bands of the 90s. Independent music is no longer really independent so much as it is dependent on what people like at the time. Well, I guess you can't really refer to screamo shit as a major, major part of the indie scene, but not relying on record labels or mainstream exposure used to be part of the aesthetic of screamo and HxC.

11. Only thing I want to comment on in this is the lack of love for A7X, at the very least they've put out a few good songs. Not my favorite band but I do love Unholy Confessions, Beast and the Harlot, and Bat Country...

12. i listen to Emo. Then again I listen to every genre of music almost.

Spill Canvas, The Early November, Bright Eyes, Etc.

Whatever mood I am in depends on what I listen too

13. I would like to say that the early november has always and will continue to be one of my favorites. Ace Enders is a cool ass dude!

14. parkway drive.

and if your feelin really sad and angry emmure but they are garbage.

15. Seneca's pretty dank.

16. Grow up and listen to Fugazi and Rites of Spring. TRUE emo from the 80s.

17. hell yes! they are from my town. charlotte!

Fugazi. Thats whats up.

18. there is so much REAL music out there dude. REAL music....get into it.

hardcore is one of my favorite genres...if we are talking about real hardcore. not norma jean or underoath. i mean cro-mags, floorpunch, bane, 7 seconds.

19. 4 people posted a band.
    the rest trying to make me change my style of music i like.
    i laugh at you faggots who listen to death metal and "rock" who say it's not real music, grow up, people like different music, how can you criticize someone for liking a genre?

i just laugh at you people who are a. underage b. immature c. both.