Embark on a journey with me! First grow, 1000w HPS, unknown strain, more to come!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Blaxmith, Jun 13, 2010.

1. #1 Blaxmith, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
    Hello blades, I have been growing for a couple weeks now, but i neglected to start a journal. Today I got my 1kw HPS working, so I'll give all the info.

I'm transforming my bedroom into a grow room. I have a 1000w HPS, currently im working on getting some chains and hooks so i can suspend it from the ceiling and adjust its height as necessary.

I have 6 baby plants all from seed, of an unknown strain. My friend told me they were White Rhino, but i just talked to the dude he got em from and he said they're not white rhino but some random strain from a cross-pollinated female. So far they've been sitting under CFLs when its overcast/night time. I have four 23w CFLs a couple inches over them. They started in some ghetto soil I mixed from home (1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 horse manure compost, 1/3 yard soil w/ relatively high clay content). They werent doing to well in the party cups with ghetto soil after a couple weeks (were remaining pretty small, leaves beginning to yellow/show signs of rust). So i picked up some FFOF a few days ago, transplanted them into slightly bigger pots and they are responding favorably.

My plan is to start them under the HPS as soon as I can, and hopefully I end up with at least one female suitable to take cuttings from. I'm also considering picking up some clones from the dispensary, $12 and they're already rooted so I'll plop em right under the HPS. I'm going to try to use as much space as I can, as many plants as I can fit.

I havent decided what strains to grow, but I want to get a few different strains then take cuttings so i have a few of each. This thread will be the home of my exploits :hello: :cool:

I hope to learn lots, and share my experiences! Also I'll have to be getting a USB cord for my camera so I can give you better images than crappy cell phone pics :p

Day 19:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i'll be checking you out bro and mos def is the shit

3. haha yuppp Mos Def is the shit, but Curren$y is actually probably my favorite new rapper! Even more than KiD CuDi and Wiz. i got all his mixtapes and all the albums i could find lol.. also "How Fly," the Wiz/Curren$y compilation album is hella sick.

4. You have some nice little plants going, hopefully they are all ladies!!

Well, you are on the journey of a thousand miles and you've obviously taken the first couple of steps.

It will all start moving pretty fast, so the sooner you figure out what you want to do the better. Find a strain you like and get. I would highly recommend rooted clones as that will knock 3-4 weeks off your grow time from where you currently are.

Just make sure you check them for mites and other pests if you get them.

Good luck man!

5. #5 Blaxmith, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
    totally feel you on the rooted clones, my local dispensary has rooted clones for $12, hopefully they have some good strains :smoking:

also, today i set up my 1000w! WooT! No more excuses for slow growth, and I transplanted them into bigger pots again to accomodate what I expect.

heres my grow room :D
    [​IMG]

also another question... since they're still small enough to be moved out to the porch during the day, and arent trapped under a screen or anything, would that be more beneficial to them than the 1000w HPS? besides the electricity saved.

I havent decided on which nutrients to use yet, and I'm probably gonna try a SCROG.

6. Love the thread title..:)
    Clocked in..;)

7. haha thanks bro preciate it, its gonna be a bumpy ride :metal:

8. Don't really trust me because I'm not a grower, but I'd assume that because the room allows you to control temps / amounts of light, you could get a better yield from artificial light.

9. Hey man your setup is looking pretty good there. Plants should do well.

During veg I would regularly take my plants outside to get some rays when the temps were ok. The biggest pro to this you nailed, you get to rest the lamps for a bit saving on electricity. But also the sun penetrates greater than any light man has produced(that I am aware of anyways). So your bottom leaves and shoots will benefit from a stronger light than if they were inside under the lamp.

You also have to worry about bringing bugs from the outside back into your garden. I have found the chances of this are extremely high and to me the risk is not worth it anymore. Indoor plants stay indoors and outdoor plants stay outdoors.

Sorry for the rant but hope it helped!

10. #10 Rastagrower, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
    Hey dude, I got 1000Watt growing 5+ strains in my closet room too! I will definitly keep update on this thread. Your room is looking good and very nice upgrade from cfls to 1000W hps. Thats what I did too lol. I will post my Grow journal thread as soon as i learn how to use this mac lol Oh and if this your first time using 1000Watt hps, I warn you, be careful and vent your room throughoutly or you might have heating problems. My 1000W is stronger than all of my friends 1000W hps and your same to look the same as mine. I have 5 fans set up in my grow room just to keep the temp at 79 degrees and im still going under construction to vent the room with cooler air straight from my a/c before i switch it to flowering. Other than that, you should have no problem. Good luck!

11. #11 Blaxmith, Jun 16, 2010

that's a really good point. i had a little bug problem early on, something was chewing on one of my unhealthier plants :mad: which was frustrating. left some holes in a couple lower leaves, but i havent seen em since..

when i move em outside, i have them on my upper deck, not really in the garden, so i think its unlikely bugs find em, but thanks for pointing out the risk. I think ima invest in some insecticide... whats a good organic option for cannabis?

omg and it was crazy earlier today... just remembered lol. when i brought them in for the evening, i saw an EARWIG crawl out of my soil and run up my plant!! i was like wtfs... so i took a lighter to that bitch :p once i got him off my baby, of course.

12. yeahh... my grow rooms temp is like 90 >.< at least thats what my digital meter said. after i read your post i got another thermometer and i put it on the canopy.. also my meter says the relative humidity is at 35% :/

to any experienced growers out there, how helpful is a higher humidity? and what are some effective ways to raise humidity?

13. you want to keep your humidity above 35 around 40-60% and room temps around 70-80

humidity and yeild come hand in hand. you can buy a humidifier and see how that helps and if an a/c is too much an air cooler would ecceintially work for your humidity and temp problems

14. yeah... it appears that my canopy temperature is around 90 degrees, even with a fan on it. the plants arent getting burned that im aware of, but i am concerned with these conditions. ima look around for cheap things i can do to fix these issues. insight is appreciated ^_^

15. get a bucket of water and frozen bottles of water and keep it in there you'll probably have to keep changing the bottles every hour or so

16. frozen bottles? could that really effect the room temp?

i'm probably gonna invest in a cool mist humidifier, has anyone experienced these reducing room temp?

17. #17 Flip The Script, Jun 16, 2010
    it would act as an air cooler or air chiller the water in the bucket would condense and bring your humidity up. as for the frozen bottles it would evaporate i dont think you will see a drastic change in air temp if any using that method

you just need to vent the fuck out that room. keep air moving get that hot air out bring fresh air in and keep that cycle going

18. fasho, i just brough in like 4 bowls of water under the light, hopefully the evaporation will raise the humidity at least a bit. i also filled the tray the pots are sitting in... about 1/2 inch deep w/ water.

unfortunately im on the 2nd floor of my house.. so its always like 80 degrees up here, and 90 in my room with the light on. also ive had to totally seal off the windows to make em light proof... there was a huge glow on my neighbors side wall, and it would just be obvious im growing if theres a hella bright orange tinted light on all thru the night lol... plus i know my neighbor grows so hed just be like "wow this kids a retard," so i dont want anyone to know i grow.

i need to figure out some way to ventilate my room tho... im trying to keep my door closed to keep the humidity in it :/ but that wont help airflow at all... gah

19. Man, at some point you are going to have to build some type of little enclosure once your plants are flowering to prevent light from your bedrrom ruining your dark period.

You enclosure can also be used to help you maintain atmospheric conditions you want such as humidity, temp, CO2, ect. I would then ventillate your light directly from the enclosure, and put a small vent fan in to remove air once an hour or so. Better yet is to have to vent fan connected to a atmospheric controller that runs it on when temps are too high. These controllers can be found for 100-150$ and I would highly recommend one.

Summertime heat is alost impossible to avoid. I dropped an ac unit into my enclosure that keeps it a balmy 75. You can change your grow hours so you are doing it more at night.

Your light is the signle greatest source of heat, you should ventillate that thing to a window and remove some of your heat that way.

20. #20 Blaxmith, Jun 16, 2010
    yehh..if i started flowering right now I would just leave the room and close the door, lol. since the windows are already sealed to prevent light from getting out, its almost light-proof (glow from blue painters tape at windowsill :p). I've taken all my clothes into another room, and I have another bed.

Hopefully a cool mist humidifier will solve my temperature and humidity problems.. otherwise I'm gonna design a room within the room.

Last night I put like 4 bowls of water next to the plants under the light, and when i went in there to check on them when i woke up rH was like 40%. I just put my babes out for the day, and now 15 minutes later with the door open, the rH dropped to 32%, lower than ever before :p

anyways im tired as fuck ima go back to sleep :cool:

btw i feel you on the summer heat... it gets up to 80 just around the house up here on the second floor during the day.. but i get to keep the light off from 8am to like 8pm, so ill try to cool that room down as much as possible during the day.