Electricity Bill question.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SNiPerXP, Oct 30, 2009.

1. My parent is complaining about the electricity bill being $2400 and believes that it's because of my grow. But I only have 208 watts of CFL's runnin and one fan that all run 24/7. Could this really cause a $500+ bill? And would this cause suspicion for electricity companies?

2. absolutely not

3. I don't think so. If you check your electric companies website you should find the rate at which you're charged per Kilowatt hour. You can calculate how much the 208w will cost per month and im sure it will be nothing close to $500.

4. That must be one heck of a fan.:eek:

5. Thanks I really think he just wants me to take it down and is trying to make excuses. He went as far as to tell me his friend got busted because since the lights go on and off every 12 hours for so long, the electric company reported him. I've tried convincing them that I know my shit and that the grow is safe, but they just do not want me providing my family with the herb.

6. There isn't a business entity in the world who would refuse a good customer. If you pay your bill on time chances are an actual human will never see your bill or even know how many kw/h you are using.

When I started my CFL grow (286watts) my power went up like 5 bucks. Just curious, how in the hell does someone get such a high utility bill?

7. I think it's because I live in a big ass house and everyone leaves everything on all day and shit so really I just think it is because of that, but one of my parents believes it has resulted from the grow.

8. Just do the math as one of the posters above outlined & you can prove to them exactly to the penny how much "your" electricity cost. Simple matter really.

9. 208 Watts will be in average $12Bucks a Month unless you live in a country where KWh is VERY EXPENSIVE

10. Agreed. There is NO way those lights and fan are racking up 500 a mth. I have more watts than that running in my apartment, and my bill (at 10c per kw) is 60 bucks...so... lol. NO way. at all.

My favourite part of this story though, is that your parents know about your grow. :smoke:

11. Think of it this way, most computer power supplys are at least 280w. Hell, mine is 350w. There is NO way for the electic company to bust you for that.

True story, I had a plant outdoors in my backyard and the power guy has to go into my back yard to read the meter. I was halfway through flowering before I realized he'd seen the plant every month. No big deal.

I guess it depends on where you live. In California, and many other states, it's legal to grow several plants, so its nothing they can bust you for even if they wanted to (so long as you sign up with Medicann). Also, it's not illegal to grow tomatoes, or lettuce, or basil in your own home.

Between the computer excuse, the legal excuse, and the food excuse you're totally secure on that front legally. No judge would sign a warrant for a power bill unless it was totally insane, and even then there would need to be FLIR survaillence and more.

I have a 400w system in a studio and my electric bill runs about $100 a month for everything. Fridge, stove, AC, lights, TV, computer, XBOX, PS3, laptops, etc. Your system, even if left on 24 hours, wouldn't run much over 200Kwh a month, and that's a scientific fact. Even if you're paying .25/Kwh your share of the bill would be $40.

I'd put money on you guys having a hot tub. Trust me, you let that thing run for a few days straight and yeah, you'll see it on your bill. My mom calls hers the $20 per use bathtub.

12. Show your parents the money they paid educating you paid off.
    Get an Excell spread sheet and do the math, multiplication and show them what your shit cost to run.
    Be sure to multiply the KWH rate by the watttage & hours everything is on.

13. very smart :smoke:

14. Lol, yeah my parents are cool with me smoking, but they want me to work for my habits instead of growing. My stepdad is honestly just very paranoid and doesn't want to get deported back to his country, even though he smokes every night. I hate how parents of this generation are so strict and paranoid. I can't wait to live on my own.

15. It definitely sounds like you have the opposite of strict parents, lol

You could make a point of turning off light/stuff around your house that people aren't using to try and keep the bill down but then again it's hard for people to change their habits.

16. Pay for what you use for the grow & charge your parents for the weed.
    Show them your an entrepreneur.
    At your age, still living w/parents, You got little to loose, the older we all get the more we aquire & want to protect what we have work & saved so long for. in 20-30 years you'll be the same, sorry.

17. Yea I wouldn't use the word strict. They let you smoke, thats fair enough IMO haha I joke around n tell my mom when NJ legalizes I'm gonna get a license n grow but she always just gives me the look of th devil, smirks n walks away haha. I really don't think she would care but I have a 16yr old little brother that she would be more concerned about (which I can't blame her)

18. My parents are open to that fact that I smoke because I have chronic pain from scoliosis and my neck (parents have yet to check it out). I hate pain killers since I get way too nauseous and don't like the numb feeling when instead I take a few hits and I'm feeling nice and groovy. But they are very closed minded to me being right over them considering they are older than me.