Electrical questions?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Potamus_anonymous420, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Ok if I ran a 585 true watt light (Voltage: AC85-260) a carbon filter incline fan and all the other running equipment etc. How do I go about doing this safely and properly I'm very uneducated when it comes to electrical wiring.
    Before I thought I could just grab a power strip plug everything into that power strip and ready to roll, but now I'm stressed about proper electrical safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Your light will draw probably about 5 amps your inline fan probably about 1 amp so most household circuits are 15 amps......but i have no idea what else you have plugged in on the circuit.... add a microwave ,vacuum and a Xbox and you will pop your breaker...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3. So I won't overload the plug in outlet if I run just my light and my fan. Is this with every outlet in my room so one outlet can run the lights and fan for one tent as another outlet that's a couple feet away can run another tent? That's safe? Even with fire hazards?

4. I run a light and a couple of fans in my bedroom
    on one plug, and all my computer stuff on another
    no problems.

5. If you're growing in a bedroom the circuit is probably powering that bedroom another bedroom and a bathroom or half the family room or whatever..... so it's not a dedicated circuit it's what's called a branch circuit so it would be very helpful to know what is exactly on that circuit so you can try not to overload it... I would have somebody turn off Breakers until the outlet I was going to use turned off and then I would turn on that breaker while turning all others off and see what has power with that one breaker on so you know what Outlets share a circuit with your grow light and whatnot so you don't put any other appliances with high amperage draws on it......

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

6. I Had to run a 10 gauge wire from my panel downstairs, up into my atic and back down the wall into the bedroom.
    30 amp breaker. im drawing 21 amps, so 30 was perfect.

Most of your equipment should have amps on the unit, add them all up, see where your at.

Whats un safe or can cause a fire is changing out a 15 amp breaker with 20 or 30 etc. wires will heat up and could start a fire!

7. Can I purchase anything to lower rate of electrical malfunctioning?

8. Not really.
    But, as long as you don't change out your breaker bigger than the gauge of wire you have, you wont have any problems. Do you live in a REALLY old house? how new is your home?
    If your house was 60 years old, I would be a little more worried.

Oh and make sure all your power bars, cord, lights, fans etc all have 3 prong plug ins.

9. I'm gonna buy a P3 kill-a-watt monitor. Thanks for all the help everyone

10. for every 100 watts that 1 amp. if your in the usa you have 120 volts . so your power strip will run 1000 watts safely . up to 1200 watts not suggested ever go over 1000 watts . hire an ele guy should only cost 150 bucks to do it correct

11. watts ÷ volts will give you amps, add up all your shit your using and dont overload any supplies check theyre rating

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. i am a certified e tech as well . but i do not work as one .

13. Thanks for the help man.

14. your welcome feel free to message me if you need anymore electrical help

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Sure will.