Electrical questions answered here

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by cbreez420, May 27, 2018.

1. Hey stiggy. I feel like the only thing that would have caused that was a loose connection. At some point someone may have spread the tabs on the breaker to make it easier to snap in. This would create a loose connection and heat up over time. Maybe loose connections on the screw terminals or could just have been a defective breaker. Hard to say without a picture and or being there

• Like Like x 1
  2. We are all here to help each other and bounce ideas off of one another.

• Like Like x 2
  3. That was how I was leaning, still need to power the spa back up, I already replaced box and breaker just need to have my back feel better before I can get into the spa box again
    Thanks
    I have a amps tester to check the load on each leg then.

4. thanks

5. #25 AKNewb, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 6:13 AM

Thanks. My plan is to pretty much change everything downstream from the main panel and get it done right. I’m going to find out if I need a permit and then put in a completely new sub panel. I’ll run everything and then pay to get it inspected and approved.

I need to research more but my plan is to put a 60 amp breaker in the main panel then 6 or 8 AWG run outside to a new larger sub panel. The location of the sub panel is equidistant from garage (runs a 110 outlet and a 220v compressor) and the shed (only a 110 outlet and standard light bulb and then the grow room in the back).

I intend to put one of the sub panels that are pictured and have enough slots that everything in the garage and shed/growroom can have its own breaker and wire run.

Doing this and doing it right should address the issues with how it is currently wired and also the need for enough power out to the shed/growroom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. There ya go! Yea 6 wire would be your best bet and that 8 space panel would be awesome. You don’t need a permit for that either so your good to go. Now get to work!!!!!

7. How much watts can I use from one outlet without tripping fuses or any other issues? I'm sure it may vary but what do you think the average may be?

8. Depends on the size breaker the outlet is on:
    15a breaker will give you 1800w
    20a breaker is 2400w
    Don’t forget though.... unless it’s a dedicated circuit there will more than likely be other things drawing on that circuit too.
    And you can’t just change the breaker either because it was sized according to the wire gauge that was ran.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Also if you have equipment that runs for more than 3 hrs at a time (continuous load) like lighting, you should derate your circuit to 80% the total allowable wattage. For example a 20a breaker could only be loaded to 1960watts instead of 2400watts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1920 Watts. My mistake

11. Thanks cbreez. That helps a lot.

Grasscity Deals Near You