ego death

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by stanley2008, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Can someone explain to me in laymans(spelling?) terms what ego death is, I am very interested in the subject but I can't seem to grasp the concept from it's wikipedia articles and google searches, any help appreciated

Thx

2. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've read it most commonly comes through higher does of psychedelic drugs (another way is through meditation but you have to be pretty trained/experienced to achieve this state). Basically though, when ego death occurs, you loose just that; your ego. Your sense of self (your identity, etc), your connection to your external surrondings-dissolves. I've never experienced this (I'm a novice at meditation) but I could imagine it being as though time doesnt exsist, surrondings, memories dont mean a thing. Hard to put into words, or even fathom in a way, but from what I understand it can be somewhat freightening if one isn't prepared. Hope this helps man. I suggest checking out http://www.shroomery.org if you want more info. :wave:

3. #3 kinetic being, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
    Ego Death is the state in which all differentiation is exterminated, and there is no sense of "I" and "that," and everything is consolidated into blissful singularity.

In Hinduism, it is called Nirvikalpa Samadhi.

"Nirvikalpa samādhi, on the other hand, absorption without self-consciousness, is a mergence of the mental activity (cittavṛtti) in the Self, to such a degree, or in such a way, that the distinction (vikalpa) of knower, act of knowing, and object known becomes dissolved — as waves vanish in water, and as foam vanishes into the sea.[3] The difference to the other samadhis is that there is no return from this samadhi into lower states of consciousness. Therefore tis is the only true Enlightenment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvikalpa

4. rofl, you copy and pasted what he said he couldn't grasp the concept of.

5. it seems to me that one probably couldn't grasp the concept of this without experiencing it regardless of what they've read.

6. That makes sense. :)

7. ego death summed up in zero words:

8. Ego death is a complete loss of self, identity, purpose, and connection with reality. Sometimes called 'The Void'.

Many are afraid of it but some seek it out.

Easiest, quickest, and possibly legal way: Smoke 20x salvia (or 40x if it's Purple Sticky)

Salvia is notorious for potent ego death, but since it only lasts ~5 mins on average, you get over it fast and it doesn't leave you as scared as, say, 2C-E and it's 1/2-3 hour ego-death nightmare.

9. #9 kinetic being, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
    I didn't copy and paste what isn't in quotes, and suburbantoker got it perfect, it summarized perfectly as:

although I do like "cessation of differentiation."

10. I can say that when im on psychadellics there is no "i" or "me"

i couldnt give a fuck about myself. . .

perhaps thats it? idk

11. Get your hands on some shrooms and experience it first hand.

12. I like this definition:

The ego is the sense of being a metaphysically free, sovereign agent that originates and controls its own thoughts, actions, and movements of the will while moving through time and space.
    Ego death is the cessation, in the intense mystic altered state, of the sense and feeling of being a control-wielding agent moving through time and space. The sensation of wielding control is replaced by the experience of being helplessly, powerlessly embedded in spacetime as purely a product of spacetime, with control-thoughts being perceptibly inserted or set into the stream of thought by a hidden, uncontrollable source.

Quoted from: http://www.egodeath.com/EntheogenTheoryOfReligion.htm

13. ya i would have to say i have gotten close to complete ego death, if not full blown. especially on 2 dropped hits of strong acid. i started melting into my atmosphere and started living as an entity or spirit instead a person. freaky shit.

14. everything about myself was just gone..all aspects of who i am, my name, my relationships, things i enjoy, all gone and replaced with an appreciative sense of wonder for everything i experienced in one extended moment. eventually i realized who and what i was and had a good laugh:p

15. #15 K4LImist, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
    Cant believe nobody has mentioned salvia yet, no other drug has ego-death attached to it more than salvia. Go take a huge rip of some potent sally and experience what its like to die.

nvm it was already stated sry

had some trips that i couldn't get over for a few days to a week, fucking rocked my whole understanding of everything