effectiveness of prayer

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Quanzy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I grew up in a lifestyle of prayer to the point where I probably was praying every moment I could. Constantly I was thinking about what might go wrong and praying so that nothing would go wrong. In my opinion it has made me both better and worse. People see me as a being pretty negative because I look for all the wrong in the world since it was ingrained in me, and now that I realize it has not helped me be a better person I have started to look at the positive in the world instead. I believe it is much better to be thankful and feel good about what is happening, perhaps even knowing that God is in control and therefore everything will happen as it should.

2. Thats a good point, I hadn't really thought about it that way. I have wondered before how similar someones brain when meditating is to someones brain when praying, in the form he described below. I don't pray so what do I know.

3. #43 esseff, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    What some people don't understand when they engage in this type of action, is that if they become attached to the idea of receiving a particular result, or interpret the kind of result they think they get, as a result of doing so, they can create tremendous disharmony within themselves.

For example, both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian (or as I prefer to call it: brother on brother) conflict pray for victory and believe they each have god on their side, and each side gets affected when things don't go the way they believe they should. Because they each believe they are completely right to do what they do, they cannot see another way of understanding what is happening, thereby simply concluding that if it isn't what they were looking for, instead of looking within as to why, they see it as god's will having been thwarted and they need to step up further, harder, sacrifice more, and one day He will prevail.

Of course, it doesn't help having some people whose very agenda is to do whatever it takes to keep the conflict alive, and when you have very passionate, very religious people involved, it doesn't take much to convince them that they need to react to everything, blame someone else, rather than take responsibility for their own actions now.

4. I can answer that for you. The brain wave patterns would be the same for me. My state of consciousness is the same when I am in deep meditation, or deep prayer. A random spontaneous urge to pray actually often leads to me meditating, unless it happens in a place that makes meditation impractical, like a grocery store or something like that.