Effective light coverage area under 250w HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by brotherjericho, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hypothetical situation as I have not acquired my lighting yet. I have a small space (~3 sqf) that I plan on placing 2-3 plants in, using 10" (3 gal) pots. If I run a cool tube and basic reflector with a 12" distance from my plants, will they receive adequate coverage at that distance? I know at least one plant will, but how much light will the other plants get?

According to ACF Indoor Plant Grow Lights & Information Guide the coverage is 3x3 primary, 5x5 secondary, but that is at a height of 2'-3', not 1', thereby reducing the effective lumens.

Thanks!

2. #2 brotherjericho, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    Any ideas? Been trying to find a graphic I swear I saw somewhere a few weeks back that illustrated the the theoretical (or measured?) canopy sizes for various lamp wattages.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I set my lamp smack in the middle of the space and 12" from the top of the plants, what kind of lighting will the perimeter see? I think it is obvious the farther you move a light up, the more it will cover, square footage wise, but the less intense that coverage will be.

EDIT: Here's the rough concept, graphically, just without data showing what coverage will be at what distance.

[​IMG]