Education Resources For Kids?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by yurigadaisukida, May 18, 2014.

1. I would like my daughter to be as far ahead of the learning curve as possible.

we have all those books about what to expect at each age and what kids should know, but iI can't help but wonder if this falls short of the childrens' actual potential.

What exactly are kids capable of? Where can I find educational resources that challange her beyond the common core of education?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Guaranteed those books about what to expect at each age fall short with many if not all children.  The world and life experiences are far more educational than any book.  Get her out into the world with you and teach her as much as you possibly can yourself.

Education stems far past academics and books.

3. That's probly a good idea. People learn much more when they are trying to learm what they want to learn, as opposed to being forcefed information.

4. Not sure how old she is...But best to get her in a hands-on summer camp for Science..The college in my town always has huge summer camp programs for kids....for many different subjects...Kids always gravitate to ones like robotics, etc..This is a much better experience than any public school could give..

5. I will be frank. Children can actually learn complex subjects just as well if not better than adults. If you really want her ahead of the learning curve, make sure to do so at a pace she is comfortable. If you both apply yourselves thoroughly, I am sure she can excel in no time.

I started early on by borrowing flash cards and books from older grade classes, then eventually moved on to my aunt's college biology, mathematics, and nursing-related books, if that tells you the level of learning that children are capable of. If she likes to learn, all you really have to do is hand her some books. I.. Don't have any experience with not liking learning, as I'm not a parent. This is just based on my experiences in growing up.

6. Thanks for all the replies. All good stuff.

7. Not sure you'd consider it a resource, more like entertainment, but Steve Spangler has a YouTube channel where he does experiments geared towards kids. I can look it up when I get off of work then, used a few with my nephews already.. even if its just to help provoke curiosity.

8. khan academy is an excellent resource that starts from basic math skills to calculus. you make an account and your kid will get points for completing the questions or watching the video. It questions the concept from different angles to make sure you're not rote memorizing the way to make calculations. It's free also. It also has other subjects but i didn't check them out myself.
    https://www.khanacademy.org/

I've personal used it to get me through calculus.

here's an example for multiplication
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxwasijbAo

9. i didnt realize they had more basic subjects, thats freaking awesome. ive always adored the idea of khan and coursera and similar but now i feel like donating or something lol.

10. sweet thanks!