eBay no name ballasts?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Zoltan_4:19, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ok, so Im just organizing a grow for average size room. Until now I have been using a 600w quantum digital ballast with A/c hood in the closet. I decided to go with the room this time and need 3 more 600w digital ballasts. To make a total of 4-600w. I wanted to keep costs low and have seen a nice set on eBay. It comes with...

"Package Includes: 
    600W HPS Bulb 
    600W MH Bulb 
    600W Digital Electronic Ballast (brand is sinowell- cant find any info on google)
    18" * 19" Reflector Hood (a/c hood with glass)
    Ceramic Socket 
    1 Set Hi-Low Yoyo Reflector Hanging kit 
    24 Hours Timer"

I contacted the seller and am able to meet him locally and get a deal $220 cash he is selling them originaly for $265 plus 12% tax

So has anyone had experience with "cheap eBay ballasts" and would it be worth it?

Here is what I'm up against cost wise VS brand name

1-600w quantum digital =$300
    1-6" A/C hood..............=$100+
    1-600w bulb................=$50(+\-)

=$450 plus taxes/ship
    =$500 (for each set)<------!!!
    OR.................

---> $220 for the same equipment except no name

Keep in mind I need 3 sets total to Buy. So it's either brand name @ $1500 (for 3 sets) or $660 (for 3 sets) but no name.. What would you guys do?

2. Save a few bucks but expect the no name to not last thru many seasons. if you hve the cash buy the best quality ystem you can afford. Do keep in mind though even name brand equipment fails.

3. see, even if they don't last through many "seasons" I figure that 3 a/c hoods bought from the grow shop would cost me about $400+ so even IF the no name ballst didn't work for longer them a few "seasons" it would still be worth it. I just don't know how well I can trust this cheap stuff...

4. I have found that the "No brand" ballasts are usually the same internals as the name brand ones. Sometimes they are even the same case, just without the logo. I think that most of the ballasts are imported, then branded, then sold. If you are contacting him why not ask how long he will warranty it. Also pay for it through ebay (paypal) if you can. they have more buyer protections if he does end up selling you garbage and doesn't want to warranty it.

Also another tip, if you want to save money. google refurbished ballasts. They still have usually the same warranty as the new stuff. Referb is the way to go in my opinion, as long as its got a warranty

5. Chevy, Ford, Yugo, Nissan, Toyota, Mercedes or Jaguar....... They can all get you where you want to be

You spending ability is where you should make your choices :)

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

6. Haha ya, I can afford the equipment either way. But it's the first initial set up spending that hits hard. I'm going tomorrow to buy the eBay ballasts. I will post back Soon and let everyone know

7. The initial is always the hardest, each grow you do the price of the equipment per grow drops. :)

8. Im curious what kind of Florusent bulb is the best for the entire grow ? I caNT FIND the ones Im looking for at home depot. Very small selection. They had the t-5 and t-8 and t-12 bulbs but none of them had the blue lite.

9. 1000bulbs.com

if you want for entire grow use the 3000k. but since its t5 you can just swap em out when you want to flower. T5 high output are a lot better at flowering than most people think

10. A good local or internet Hydrophonic shop