Easy Light Trap for Grow Tent Intakes

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by ismellchicken, Jul 8, 2017.

1. My grow tent is in my bedroom and the light coming from my intake was so god damn bright. I had to fix it somehow. So i will show you what i came up with.

Materials i used:
    - Piece of cardboard (about an inch wider then the perimeter of the intake vent
    - Aluminum tape
    - Duct tape
    - velcro used for fabric (cheap on amazon)
    20170613_180045.jpg

- 4 inch ducting
    - black spray paint
    - scissors (fuck it, you can use a steak knife if you want)

First, i measured the length and height of the border of fabric lining the intake vent. I then cut the velcro strips accordingly and stuck them right around it:
    20170613_180318.jpg

Then, i covered the piece of cardboard in aluminum tape. Took a piece of 4 inch ducting and traced 3 holes before cutting them out. Then i placed the other half of the velcro strips along the edges:
    20170613_225729.jpg

Then i took 3 lengths of that 4 inch ducting and secured them to the cardboard piece using duct tape:
    20170614_171853.jpg

I spray painted the inside of the ducting black to prevent light from
    Reflecting out. Bent the ducting at roughly 90 degrees and kept the angle by duct taping inside each piece of duct. Then i just stuck that bitch to the tent and voila:
    20170614_172148.jpg

**NOTE: if your duct angles aren't sharp enough and you are still getting a lot of light coming out, lay something black right underneath the duct ends on the tent floor. It will prevent light from bouncing off the floor up into the duct. Even a dirty ass old black sock would work.

• Like Like x 8
  2. You could also grab a black carbon filter pad, cut it to size and use the Velcro to attach. That's what I do, works great. Blocks light pretty good and keeps my passive intake filtered.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  3. Where do you pick up those?

4. I ordered one from Amazon a while back, they are called cut-to-fit carbon pads. A little under 10$ for a large pad that you can get many uses out of.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sweet. Maybe i'll test it out. I have lots of velcro left and nothin to use it for.

6. I use the same pads on a window fan to hide the smell when I smoke :D I think i paid like $8US at home depot for a giant 2.5'x2.5' piece. They brand them as pet odor filters. They block light very well as a bonus

• Like Like x 1
  7. dudes are smart. Good job. If space is tight you could also mount that outside the tent too right?

Does the carbon pad add a lot of resistance for the air to move in when the exhaust fan is running? Don't want to burn that out pulling air in.

8. For sure you could mount that outside the tent. As for the carbon pad, i have no idea. I was wondering the same thing.

9. Nice. Very clever. See my idea I am happy with.