easter island statues have bodies

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by hoboleader, Nov 2, 2011.

1. WTF!? I've made so many jokes about that being the case!

2. the ancients were alot more advanced then we give em credit for.
    alot of the knowedge was lost for sure. but what do u expect after thousands of years

3. Thats fuckin cool!

4. My mind is so blown!!! I feel like this was my own accomplishment!

5. Lol I bet the people that discovered them were probably like *facepalm*

6. whats weird is this wasnt on the news at all. i heard about this being the case it took me a few days to stumble across the link. Search for this on google news you wont find anything, yet to me it seems like an important discovery that deserves to be reported at least a little bit.

7. This is not anything groundbreaking, we've known this for like a century

8. Conspiracy!

9. So the question is - are they older than we think and they've been buried because of time, or were they just buried like that intentionally?

10. [quote name='"iMPREPREX"']So the question is - are they older than we think and they've been buried because of time, or were they just buried like that intentionally?[/quote]

It looks intentional tbh. That much sediment wouldn't have built up over, what? A few thousand years?

11. There is 887 of these statues...why don't you guys just google it if the picture makes you genuinely curuous. I don't know exactly why they're buried, but I've got a pretty good theory. Most were made out of Tuff, a soft rock. Inside of the Tuff there is harder rock. So onces the sculptors or whatever got to the hard rock they couldn't finish them, so they tossed them in a hole where at least the top half was visible

12. I used to say that they built the statues, buried them up to their heads, but just never got around to making the scorpion statues to attack at their faces.... Ya know, to let people know how bad ass they were...

...I'm still pissed about this. I swear I came up with the idea for that doggy potty pad thing with the fake grass on it too!

13. last time i'm going to post saying thta you didn't make a significant theory on how there were bodies underneath. some were buried up to their head some we chilling on top of rocks whole body visible...

14. I think the statues used to be giant people, then they just got stoned and sat around so long that the earth formed around them. Its possible..

15. Anyone notice he's grabbing his cock?

16. It looks like he's grabbing his cock, but is he really grabbing his cock?

I think he's meditating.

17. Wow haha this is so interesting. I wish they wrote on it what it was for or something.

18. What he said:) Still interesting for those who didn't know though. Here's a bit more on them:

Moai (statues)

Main article: Moai
    The large stone statues, or moai, for which Easter Island is world-famous, were carved from 1100–1680 CE (rectified radio-carbon dates).[citation needed] A total of 887 monolithic stone statues have been inventoried on the island and in museum collections so far.[48] Although often identified as "Easter Island heads", the statues are actually torsos, with most of them ending at the top of the thighs, although a small number of them are complete, with the figures kneeling on bent knees with their hands over their stomachs.[49][50] Some upright moai have become buried up to their necks by shifting soils.
    Almost all (95%) moai were carved out of distinctive, compressed, easily worked solidified volcanic ash or tuff found at a single site inside the extinct volcano Rano Raraku. The native islanders who carved them used only stone hand chisels, mainly basalt toki, which lie in place all over the quarry. The stone chisels were sharpened by chipping off a new edge when dulled. The volcanic stone was first wetted to soften it before sculpting began, then again periodically during the process. While many teams worked on different statues at the same time, a single moai took a team of five or six men approximately one year to complete. Each statue represented the deceased head of a lineage.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Tukuturi, an unusual bearded kneeling moai

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two ahu at Hanga Roa. In foreground Ahu Ko Te Riku (with a pukao on its head). In the mid-ground is a side view of an ahu with five moai showing retaining wall, platform, ramp and pavement.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ahu Akivi, one of the few inland ahu, with the only moai facing the ocean

Only a quarter of the statues were installed, while nearly half remained in the quarry at Rano Raraku and the rest sat elsewhere, probably on their way to final locations. The largest moai ever raised on a platform is known as "Paro". It weighs 82 tons and 9.8 m (32.15 ft) long.[51] Several other statues of similar weight were transported to several ahu on the North and South coasts. It is not yet known how they transported the statues. Possibilities include employing a miro manga erua, a Y-shaped sledge with cross pieces, pulled with ropes made from the tough bark of the hau-hau tree,[52] and tied around the statue's neck. Anywhere from 180 to 250 men were required for pulling, depending on the size of the moai. Some 50 of the statues were re-erected in modern times. One of the first was on Ahu Ature Huke in Anakena beach in 1958. It was raised using traditional methods during a Heyerdahl expedition.
    Recently, a large Moai statue was excavated from the ground, suggesting that the statues are much older and larger then previously thought. Field Season IV

MelT