Earthworms?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Zigga Zag, Apr 18, 2009.

1. #1 Zigga Zag, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
    Hey GC,

So, I'm in the process of making soil for my indoor plant and so far all I have is some nice top soil, and 3 earthworms. Will the worms make up for the lack of plant food/compost and increase the nutrients in the soil? Or should I get more worms?

2. Read this info on worm's/worm composting: \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\tVermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings

You will need a pound or two of worms to get any benefits ifor your soil.......and it takes a while to produce compost from the worms.

3. There are two topics related to MJ and earthworms -- one is the worms themselves and one is the castings. As Chunk said, you need a bunch of worms to generate castings to use as a fert. And a great fert it is BTW, mostly for delivering nitrogen. But you can buy a bag of worm castings at Walmart for about $3.50.

The other topics is worms in the soil. They can be beneficial, but not for providing nutrients but rather for aerating theh soil. Only a few in a container will do the trick, however it is questionable how long worms can live in a container grow that is being ferted and pH-balanced and such.

4. theres a process worms go through, first you have to have alot. feed them veggies, fruits, tea, tea bags, coffe grounds, news paper etc. after a while the soil should start smelling like a cup of worms does. but im sure having 3 worms in your pot can only benefit you. they'll probably mate and make more and condition the soil somewhat

5. yeah man that thread on castings is heavy, allot of work I guess if you are short on coin like me :p might try it later on this season, if so I will journal it. Wonder if you could throw in your old clippings from vegging, and roots etc on previous grows?

6. Well you see, i've decided to go the organic route.. So i guess i'm going to be using organic home-made compost and such... it should be a pretty inhabitable environment for the little worms. It's a small pot, about a litre or two, with excellent drainage.

Thanks for the tips!

7. Sure, give it a go. Just remember that "organic" and "kills earthworms" are not incompatible concepts. But if they die no harm no foul.