Early signs of nutrient deficiency. Help?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Nydan, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Hi. Thanks for taking a moment to stop by and read my post.

This is our first grow and things have been going well! We have learnt a lot since we started and have managed to overcome any problems we have faced thanks to all the wonderful information provided here! 

However one of our plants has started to turn yellow in spots and around the veins in new leaves and another has started to droop and look pretty lifeless.

So i'll start with some info 

What type of medium: Hydro NFT 
    Indoors or outdoors: Indoors
    What strain: 2x "The purps" 2x "Blue kush" and 1 "Sweet afghani delicious"
    How old are the plants: 3 weeks 
    What type of lights and how many watts 400W HPS from day1
    How far from the lights? Right now around 35cm I was planning on lowering to around 25cm, what do you guys think?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water: 24/7 Pump from a reservoir below kept below 24 degrees. 22 on average.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK: I put 1/4 strength nutes into the reservoir at 2 weeks old from planting the seeds in rockwool.
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro: The PH is being kept between 5.5 and 6.2 however it has been below 5.5 briefly and has been staying closer to 5.5. In the last two days i have been aiming for 6.0 as i read about deficiencies.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Never goes over 30C. Usually 28C. Drops to 25C at night
    Any bugs: None
    Any other pertinent info: Air cooled light hood. Went into NFT 5 days ago. We had issues with overwatering about a week ago, but i learnt my mistake and fixed it before it got bad. 

The two plants closest to the pump are the ones that are the worst. One has yellow on the leaves and one is drooping and looking very sad! <span> </span>

These are both the purple strains

Yellowing leafs

20141219_195014.jpg
    20141219_195005.jpg
    20141219_195000.jpg

Droopy plant

20141219_195101.jpg

The droopy plant isnt a very good pic. Its looks worse in person. It looks like its been grown outdoors and been battered. 
    The other 3 plants are possible showing the same yellowing, but only very very very slightly and maybe they are just starting to go

So, have you guys any idea what might be causing it and how to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated!  :confused:

Cheers!  :bongin:

2. from my old days of hydro\\aero i would say you're just a wee bit light on the nutes. indica dominants are heavier feeders and all. i would bump up to (you said 1\\4 strength) so try 1\\2 strength and PH should be fine at 5.8, 6.0 is a bit high, i always found ideal.

3. Mg is locked out @ 5.5 from nutrient uptake and K is slipping. P and K are on a low end lockout @ 6 ph ... you should do as Al says and try to steady the ph around 5.8

4. Thanks guys, if i stabilise the PH at 5.8, how long until i see improvement? Will the yellow turn green again or stay yellow?

Cheers

5. Damaged leaves will never repair them selfs I find but the spread of the deficiency will halt.

Chef.

6. Hi guys. So i fixed the yellowing problem and the plants started to look real healthy again, until today when i noticed some more discolouration ! The pics here are of the 2 affected, the PH is stable at 7.8 and today i changed the res for a fresh tank and gave them half strength nutrients

Cheers  :hello:

7. Pics? You mean 5.8 on ph?

Oh.. I forgot to include the pics of the new discolouration, but i bet that happens a lot round here... Lol 

And yes, i did mean 5.8 PH :smoke:

20141221_223906.jpg

View attachment 20141221_223915.jpg

9. That's the result of the spiked ph of 6.2 ... as long as the ph was sustained at that level your plants were missing uptake of P & K, looks mostly like P deficit. Keep your ph sorted and the issue will be solved.