Early sexing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sibannac, Sep 4, 2006.

1. I know it is pretty much impossible to tell a male or female brfore bloom, but there seem to be some plants which smell v.nice, but others that really don't smell that much? Is there a reason for this?

2. Strain probly

3. I thought the preflowers (which appear before true bloom) allow you to tell the sex. this is according to this thread

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/101130-sexing.html

in it, Spanishfly: "When the plant is 6 to 8 weeks old it develops pre-flowers, at the nodes of the plant, that is, where the branches meet the main stem. At this stage, which is long before actual flowering begins, we can identify the sex of the plant."

this seems handy because from what I've read it helps to repot/transplant prior to flowering and if you can see from the preflowers what the sex is you can eliminate the male plants and repot the girls well before the switch into your flower growth.

4. Absolutely, mango, you can transplant the girls for some mega vegetative growth, while you compost the boys.

5. So the smell indicates nothing? It's strange as some plants smell really funky, while others have no noticable smell. Are these just the weaklings or could they be male. Either way, should the weak or male ones be trashed?

6. an oldschool grower that i know claims that you can determine sex even before the pre-flowers show. he says (and i haven't tested his theory, but i've got seedlings going now that i'll test it with) that if the branches coming off of the main stalk shoot out directly oposite each other it's male, and if the branches develope staggered and not at the same spot oposite each other it's a female. my last grow i noticed (this is after i forced flowering and pulled the males) that all my females had branches that didn't sprout opposite each other. anyone ever heard of this method of early sexing?? if this is true it'll save alot of people alot of trouble.

7. I hate to be rude, but I think we experienced growers call that method BULLSHIT!!!!

8. yea its bull shit. the plants start alternating there nodes once they reach maturity. it has nothing to do with sex. he might think that cause he pulls the males before then so he never sees the males alternate.

9. if it's bullshit, thanks for telling me. and no, not rude, just honest. i'm glad i heard it from you guys before i started eliminating what i thought were males.

10. Read my thread on sexing. Click on the link in my sig.