Early Growing stages question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kiefycharms, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Hello all =)
    I have germinated 13 beans, the tap root popped, And i threw them in pete pellets. Its been 1 week and nothing has broke through the surface. I have left the pellets in a humidity dome in the dark. And have been giving the pellets fresh air every so often. Am i doing something wrong?

2. From what I think I know, they need some light so the new sprouts know where to grow

3. Thank you for the input my dude

4. #4 MickFoster, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on this. I don't like pre-germinating in paper towels because problems can occur - just like your problem. You would be best to plant the seed directly into the Jiffy Pellet - that's what they're designed to do - germinate seeds. I use Rapid Rooters with great success but from what I hear from other growers the Jiffies work good as well. I also don't recommend using a dome because it is too much moisture and not enough oxygen - just make sure your pellet stays moist. I also put the Rapid Rooter directly in the coco/soil so that when it sprouts the roots grow directly into the medium with no unnecessary handling.

5. Light is not required until the seeds sprout above the ground - it serves no purpose if no part of the plant is exposed to the light. Seeds sprout in the dark all the time in nature and can make it to morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sweet man thank you =) So leave the pellets in the dark until they sprout?

7. What's the temperature. Seeds need heat and moisture. I keep mine in jiffy pellets, no cover, about 75-80 degrees and mist with a spray bottle. I do use light, incandescent just for the heat.

8. 70 Degrees is the average temp in which they are in

9. He's correct that 75 to 80 degrees is ideal. If you can maintain that temp you wouldn't need a light like he uses for the heat. I put my Rapid Rooters in my grow tent in the dark until they break ground - nearly 100% in 2-3 days. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ok good To know thanks