Dying seedlings

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by TinyOne, Mar 9, 2013.

1. #1 TinyOne, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
    NL special.
    Temps 72-78
    Watering about 3 to 5 cc's a day.
    Good ventilation and air circulation.

For some reason my seedlings act like they are being over watered but I've tried letting them dry out and no change. The stems are strong but growth is very very slow and they have look dismal for 2 days now. The soil drains well and I only watered around the base of the plants as to not allow them to be too wet. Any Idea whats going on or how to fix it?
    http://ubuntuone.com/4mnkQ4OjKFykD5Uv5Wi0vx

2. I hate to say it friend... but that medium doesn't look like it would support any type of seedling... looks very poor...large chunks of bark. Any substrate you use should be fine and light in nature... what you're using is probably to acidic... did you check the PH of the medium before you planted your seed? From this day forward you should do so. I'm sorry but it looks like you lost this lady.

3. You're right. The soil is acidic. It's my first attempt at this so what I'll do is give these a few days and if they die I'll wait a while to try again. I couldn't find any good soil for sale in my area since it's early for the local nursery's to open. But I should have known better. Work with sht soil and I get sht results. Thanks mmman.

4. You welcome little buddy... if you ever need me in any way don't hesitate to shoot me a private message and I'll be more than happy to lend you any assistance so this doesn't happen again. I'm mentoring a guy from Kansas now who was in a terrible mess about a month ago... he thought he was going to lose his girls... I took him under my wing... his grow is flourishing now and I convinced him to breed one of his girls... this is his very first grow and he's only 26 years of age, young enough to be my grandson. I could hear the excitement in his email as he was explaining to me how he was "tapping" the male to help it release it's pollen (as I had instructed him). I wait until the male opens one pollen sac... then I strip him of all his leaves so nothing is in the way of pollen drop, cut him at the base and insert that dude in a pint jar full of water laying on it's side. He said he felt like a scientist or a botanist, he was so excited. So... let's not lose any more seed, okay?

5. I found some Miracle Grow seedling mix and dug them down to the roots. They still only have their main root right now. I dumped out about half to three quarters of the junk soil and replanted them in the good soil and gave them a little bit of water. I'm only planting 4 and the other 3 look good. Do you think it's too late to save them? On the sickly one she did have her first two true leaves poking out the side trying to grow up but the round leaves are getting a dark purple to black color but the two first true leaves still look ok. How much transplant shock do you think I'll see and how much water should I give them? Also should I cut the light to just a small florescent or leave them in HPS. The HPS is 3 feet above them right now and the temp never goes above 75 at the plants. I also have a fan blowing on low over the tops of them and hoping it doesn't dry them out too fast. BTW all the roots looked very good. No signs of rotting. They were firm but not hard and a nice off white color. Sorry It's a lot of questions and I'll let you know how they do in a few days. Thanks again mmman.

6. It's hard to say little buddy, but don't give anymore water... let the root search for water. Don't water again until you know they are almost dry. Can you shoot me a few pictures without lights above, and have you properly PH'd your water... it's vitally important?

7. I got the PH close to 6 right now and with the soil change they might have been over watered slightly. I brought up the temp to 80 and turned the fans up to dry them out overnight. Woke up this morning and they have lifted their leaves towards the light source. well 2 of them are still not quite pirky yet but the sickly one in the picture is now looking right. How long should I let them go without water? 1 day, 2 days?

8. How big are the pots?

9. 5 gal buckets with drain holes in the bottom but I haven't added no where near enough water to reach the bottom. Just the top 4 inches around the plant is what i got wet but letting the soil dry now.

10. What can I say, man? You should never do that.

11. Should not do what? Anything I can fix?

12. You should not put tiny plants in large buckets because you can't monitor PH run-off.

13. Just ph your ingoing water at 6.3 and only give them a couple pints every 3-4 days until she's a little bigger.

14. I've decided to give up on the project for now and just stick with getting medicine from a dispensary for a few reasons. I'm in a wheelchair and growing in dirt in buckets or grow bags just wont work for me. I would need to find a way to grow on a raised surface I can reach and monitor better. I could not reach the bottom drain pan to monitor the outgoing PH. Maybe there is some information online that could show me a setup that would work for me. If anyone knows I would appreciate that a lot.

15. What you need is a younger "helper" that you can trust to help with your grow. Do you have a caregiver or in home nurse that visits you at different intervals? Maybe you could get their assistance with your "alternative" medicine as well ;)