DWC vs. CoCo experiment

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by unixhelp, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Last Update and conclusions

I would have liked to finish comparison to the final Cure and taste test but.....I messed up bad. In the last 2 or 3 weeks i think I stressed one of the plants and it went hermie and pollinated both plants....yes...i got seeds...but I also have some decent weed. It seems everything in the lower foot and a half of both plants got pollinated and everything above is ok. So here's the conclusions I made between both grow methods.

DWC
    -- Grew faster and bigger with more buds.
    -- Difficult to control PH and PPM.
    -- Cooling the water was easy but required a little work.
    ---- Final Yield 300g wet seedless (60g dry estimated)...100g wet seeded (20g dry estimated)

Coco
    -- Grew slower and smaller with larger more solid buds
    -- Easier to take care of.
    ---- Final yield 250g wet seedless (50g dry estimate)... 100g wet seeded (20g dry estimated)

Overall lessons learned
    1: Don't do DWC if your lazy or stupid
    2: Don't inspect your plants when your frigged up.
    3: One good grow didn't make me the king of cannabis ...just means I paid attention to plants.
    4: A bad grow is a good learning experience

So now I have 110g of decent bud, 40g seedy weed and a bunch of Fem seeds that I can practice germination...perhaps even grow out a few to see what happens...not a total loss at all :)
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. Do u know how u stressed the plant? Don't want to make the same mistakes......lol

3. I can't say for sure because I don't know which plant got stressed ...didn't notice the hermie pod. It was either high PPM (2900 ppm) in the dwc plant....but there was only slight sign of nute burn on leaves....or the main cola on the coco coir plant was to close to the light for a while...3" away from 400w HPS....the main problem was my complacency ..i thought because everything went well in first grow I could neglect this grow...obviously i was wrong ;)

Coco Coir plant top cola after a few days too close to light
    image.jpg

4. Good effort, can't wait to see how my girls get on....

5. Thanks....what do you have growing?

6. #26 celticwolf, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    First time grower, but I got some kush, Kalashnikova and a couple more ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397306059.366508.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397306082.429317.jpg

Plants seem healthy, but I am having some heat problems.

7. #27 unixhelp, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Nice plants :) I have a kalashnikova and a white widow started.mine are tiny...which one is the kalashnicova? Wanna race ....just kidding ;) but it would be nice to follow your progress. btw...the hose leading into plants are for watering? is it more or less automatic watering or do you manually water when they need it?

8. Back left hand corner, that pic was from a few days ago. Just been getting my flowering room ready

9. It's a drip system, recirculating the nutes.