DWC root worries

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Thryfte, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Hey, I adopted these two plants from my buddy 2 weeks ago, they're ~6 weeks old now but especially in the past few days I've gotten very worried about the root systems, one more than the other but both may be in decline. Or maybe the color is from the clay pebbles but I'm worried that's not the case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pH is 5.8 and PPM should be in an appropriate range, though I'm waiting for new batteries for my PPM reader because it's almost dead and seems inaccurate. 1542920970224-636974484.jpg 1542921016535-477230348.jpg 1542921038731-483881786.jpg 1542921016535-477230348.jpg

2. Yeah you definitely got some root rot there man... Not sure if it's fixable from here but there are many products I can't think off the top of my head...
    Have a read of this.

Guide to Getting Rid of Root Rot

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Thank you, I used Hygrozyme or whatever it's called and will pray. If it doesn't work, I'll try a bit harder to follow those guidelines. I should have plenty of bubbles. Do I have too much water? My only guess is that I haven't cleaned the buckets thoroughly enough between uses

4. Temperature and cleanness are the main ones... And the roots should not be fully submerged man say 3/4 of the roots in is how I did it and never a problem, (slight problem when my room temperature was like 40c) always wash the pot with hydrogen peroxide, or just get new ones it's easier..

5. Stole this off another post - Basically what you want is the water level to be an inch below net level...the air stone should cause the bubbling to keep the net moist with out it being submerged..you might wanna consider using the 6 inch net pot as they are not so deepAs soon as the roots start coming through and getting to water level they explode with growthSent from

6. There is a possibility it could just be stained .. did you change nutrients lately .. what's the water temp. How many watts is you're air pump.. does your ph fluctuate alot

7. #7 RaindrOP, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    20181122_101340.jpg these are my roots they have been like this for weeks my ph stays the same plants still lower ppm. Temp maintains below 65. And plants are still thriving I still get new roots everytime I check ... I believe they are just stained from nutrients.

8. I've had root rot in the past .. my ppm would go all over the place my ph would also swing like crazy .water was stinky . And the roots would clump together and fall off with a gentle tug..... if you think its rot . Cut you're roots off at infected part . Let the roots soak in a diluted batch of h202 water.. clean bucket change stones and air line .. then whip up a batch of hiesenburg tea... trust me if you do it right you're roots will come back with a vengeance

9. Mine got stained too rain drop, his looks 100% like rot.

10. Yes his do have a mushy look to them.. and seem to be clumping together. If I were him.i would cut them.right off

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. #11 Thryfte, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    They don't feel mushy, there is no smell, I use the Marina 200 air pump with each air hose going to a different bucket. Water is an inch below the pots but my roots sink much lower than that. I don't want to cut these roots off just yet, this is my first grow and a test run so I think it'll be good to see if it actually is root rot or just a stain. 1542970738127-636974484.jpg

Also, my Temps are, as far as I've been able to read so far, consistently under 22°c - in Ottawa, keep the house around 21° and they're in my basement on the floor, I'd be more concerned about my water being cool than warm

12. #12 Thryfte, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    154302122379199810758.jpg Update:
    Turns out my PPM reader being critically low on battery lead to some grave misinformation. Lesson learned! My PPM was actually hanging out with the cow beyond the moon, sitting at something like 2,200. I immediately swapped out the buckets with the new buckets having water levels ~2 inches below the basket, 1100-1200 PPM 5.8 and 5.9 pH and both of their canopies still look healthy. Keeping a physical journal of everything that has happened and may post it later. Thanks for the advice so far, even if I'm not doing exactly what you're saying I love the feedback because if my decision turns out to be a mistake, I'll know the best route to correct the problem in the future. <3 Water temps are between 19-21 Celsius.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Good call man I would not cut any roots unless you absolutely had to .. just keep a close eye on everything

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. For mucus looking stuff a quick wash under a kitchen sink or sprayer that comes with some kitchen sinks to clean off the roots. The quhlourine won't hurt it.... obviously putting it back into new water.

That and more the air the merrier when I grew I was using about 200gph between 2 large air stones per 5 gal bucket and was considering upping it to 300gph. Across 3 large air stones. Just pends on you root structure I was filling a 4x4 with one 5 gallon so the bucket was packed with roots... and sediment figuring if I could up the air along with another stone would help. I'll find out when I start growing again lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. I just ordered this ridiculously overpowered air pump that should be plenty for even when I upgrade to 4 plants, my buckets are gonna be exploding with oxygen.

Coldest temp my house gets is ~17°c which I think is still okay for the plants.

Air pump: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/r.html?C=2...U3TR2ARWZ4A&ref_=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

Got a used one for $38 CAD :)

My marina 200 should be good enough for my two plants but I'd rather be certain that everything is above and beyond recommendatons. Thanks again for the help! Plants are still doing alright, I'll probably start an online journal when I've got some more pictures to show off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I feel like you can never have too much air

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1