Dutch?

Discussion in 'General' started by Verdurous, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew the easiest way to learn dutch. (Besides Rosetta Stone) My college doesn't offer it and I'm interested in learning it.

2. Why do you want to learn dutch? Holland is one of those countries where almost everyone already speaks English, like Scandinavia and Germany and about 30% of the U.S.

So you'd be better of learning French where virtually nobody speaks English.

But if you're just generally interested then I'm sure there are a lot of websites that will teach you. But the absolutely best way to learn a language is to take classes on the side to learn basics like grammar and pronunciation. But watching Dutch movies and TV shows with English subtitles as the primary means of learning.

3. I'd like to steal the heart of some hot gay guy in Belgium or Holland. :confused_2:

I'm actually learning French too... :smoke:

The movies with subtitles is a great idea, thanks!!!!

4. I just got Rosetta Stone for it and I'm really liking how similar to English and German it is. I'm native with English and a natural at German, even though I've never studied it. :D

5. There's gotta be some language classes around your city, go look for 'em man!

6. Well, I'm not sure where to look besides the college. lol

7. You're in college? I always figured you were 30s-40s.

8. I'm 19 the 23rd of this month. :confused_2: :D

9. Succes. Kan ik voortaan alles in het Nederlands posten

10. Success, you can now post all in Dutch? lol What?

11. I lived in Belgium for 3 years, was considering learning Flemish but its a dead language, I manged a small business there, hired staff, paid wages, did the invoicing, etc and couldnt speak a word of it :) lol... even when I got home at the end of the day and turned the TV on it was all english with flemish subtitles. Same when we went to the movies.

Even if you did try to speak flemish, when ordering drinks, food etc, as soon as the person you were speakin to detected your english accent they would just reply in English :) lol....

BTW flemish is spoken in both Belgium and Holland, the dutch use a differnet dialect but its pretty much the same language. There is a region of Belgium that speak french thou (Wallonia) but I lived in Flanders. Also I spent a lot of time in Holland during my time in belgium as it was only a 60min drive and same goes there re the language, everyone speak english and enjoys to speak english.

TLDR.... Dont waste your time on Flemish

12. Ja, je hoeft geen Nederlands te leren. Engels is goed genoeg. ;)

13. Oh wikipedia made it sound like it's still the main language:
    Dutch language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no benefit at all to trying to learn Dutch? Cause if it's not even really used, I don't understand why they don't switch to English as their official language. I mean, you don't even need it for reading/writing things?

14. How much stuff is written in Dutch in The Netherlands?

15. A whole lot of things are written in Dutch here. But since you said it's gonna be used to pick up innocent little boys (lol), you dont need to learn our language for THAT.
    Basically everyone in major city's speak English.

If you wanna live and work here though, then yes... you need to have basic knowledge of it.

16. Na, its used daily in Beligum and Holland as the main language but because both countries are so small and have no natural resources most of the trade is in logistics, Rotterdam and Antewerp are ammongst the biggest ports in Europe.

As a result of this every Belgian and Dutch are taught Flemish, French, English and German to a reasonably high level at high school. As a result they dont really need to dub TV etc and just subtitle it, most goverment documents etc are available in various languages, etc.

As for the issue about calling the language dutch, a quote from the article you linked

Most beligums would cough up their croissant if they read that, No Belgian will tell you they speak Dutch. They speak Flemish and all dutch is is Flemish based on the Hollandic dialect, there are other dialects used within Holland thou, as there are around North West Belgium.

17. shit i learn everyday man
    mos of the people with tonsof rep on here turn out to be just kids man..
    shit is insane. if your natural at german, dutch is a piece of cake man.
    its not hard at all. its alot like german but a bit easier haha in my opinion at least.
    rosetta stone is probably the easiest way tho dude. seriously.

18. Well, meeting guys wasn't the only reason, I don't like being able to read stuff like signs and such. :confused_2: Plus I'm sure it'd be useful for doing business wouldn't it? Aren't contracts and such still written in Dutch since it's the official language?

Oh, sorry about messing up the names. I wasn't talking about Belgium specifically, but I know Flemish is the Belgian dialect. Dutch is used as a blanket term for both, though isn't it? Or is Flemish the blanket term? :confused:

19. Dutch guy will tell you its Dutch, Belgian i'll say Flemish.. I think the blanket term is Flemish thou..

20. Being able or unable to read signs? lol

Anyway, if it's also for business then ofcourse its a plus if you know basic Dutch.
    But it's still very international, and businesses keep in mind that alot of foreigners come over and so contracts and such are always available in English.

Most companies, especially when its in sales and marketing and shit, require their employees to be atleast knowledgable of English and preferably be able to write and speak it fluently.

So don't worry too much about learning the language. Like someone else said, it's not like France or Italy who refuse to speak English even if they could.