Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dumb question about oil

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by AjaxInTheBay, Mar 8, 2013.

1. #1 AjaxInTheBay, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    So I've been puffing for a very long time, but I'm a total newb when it comes to oil. I honestly didn't even know it existed until about a year ago.

Basically, I'm totally lost. I hear about stuff called "dabbing" and I know people use it a lot in vape pens nowadays. Other people I hear just dust their bowl with it like it's hash, or they put it in edibles.

So my stupid question is this: do you need different kinds of oil for these different ways of ingesting it, or can it all be done the same way? I'm looking to get some because I love the idea of stealth vaping, do I need to look for a specific kind?

Feel free to flame away, I've been around the block enough to know that I should know this on my own, but what the hell, figured I'd ask you guys.

2. Kind of yeah like I had a friend try to dab with this "standard" oil we get a d it just would t work, too runny, u need like globs to dab n it's all about how u make it that determines how it comes out, like u can turn ur oil into a solid n thatl make it alot easier to dab , alot of people are making solventless oils u should look into that if u want to lean to how make it, alot of people will tell u to try the bho-butane or qwiso- quick wash isopropyl alcohol way, personally iv never made any and I want to- I know that it's easy to dab with oil that u make urself- it's just u have to be sure u did it right- I do t want to fuck around with solvents though so I Wana try maybe a ice water method , qwiso is really easy to make, it's just skeptical at first and bho can be dangerous to make but now alot of people have safer methods but I still wouldn't do it (personally) so yes u do need certian oils -( kind of) to dab, like if u were to get ur hands on alot of runny oil try and get it into a big ball, n dab it that way- it will work just not nearly as well, also youl need a adapter if u don't want to buy a oil only rig- make sure it right size-then get right sized nail- same with dome- a dabber and a butane torch n youl be set to go, if u can ask n see if u can get some shatter oils or anything close to that-everyone around here has no idea what that is they only know honey oil lol so try and see if u can get ur hands on a bunch of tifferwnt types of oils, there's not really "types" it's just how they turn out that's what people usually call then , like wax or shatter

3. Also I'm a oil noob also, I'm by no means a expert and I barley know anything lol I just know methods of making and alot of end products -sorry if some parts Wernt that clear

4. Liquidy oil is better in most pens which is stupid cuz those are the least purged

5. Never be ashamed of being a noob at something if you genuinely don't know about it. Let me try to educate you to the best of my ability about Hash Oil.

Hash, as you may already know, is traditionally pressed trichomes, which are the resin glands that contain the highest percentage of THC. Now traditionally, hash was made by physically knocking the trichomes off of the plant material whether its by sifting the material through a screen or using an ice water extraction method. The resulting resin (you may know it as kief or kif) is then heated and pressed to form hash.

Hash oil however, is made slightly different from these methods. Hash Oil is generally made using a solvent to chemically separate the THC from the plant matter. The most popular of these solvents are butane (BHO or Butane Hash Oil) and isopropyl alcohol (QWISO or Quick Wash Isopropyl Alcohol), although there are many other less popular methods like hexane, acetone, CO2, etc, etc. This method of solvent extraction tends to produce a product with higher THC content than traditional pressed hash. I've heard of some oil with percentages up to 95%. To put that into perspective, even the best of the best weed At Most only has a THC content of up to 27%

Now in general, when most people talk about honey oil, wax, shatter, or amber, they're usually referring to hash oil made by essentially blasting refined butane through a bud or trim filled tube and then "purging" the resulting product of excess butane. The end product is what we know as our butane hash oil. This oil can then be smoked.

Now there are several ways that hash oil can be smoked. The most popular method as you might have heard is called dabbing. Dabbing works by vaporizing a small bit of oil, called a "dab" on a "nail" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXSalHx2PvY]Dabs Of OG Budder on a Highly Educated V3 TI Nail with Micro Toro 8 Arm to 8 Arm - YouTube[/ame] or "skillet" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnXFkniU72M]Dabs in the new skillet - YouTube[/ame] water pipe attachments that are heated with a torch. Because of the high THC content of these oils, for someone who's never smoked oil before I equate a single dab to smoking the fattest blunt to your face and then some. It's like getting as high as the first time you ever smoked weed.

Another way oil can be consumed, as you mentioned, is in a vaporizer pen. There are many different kinds of these pens although most of them are just rebranded e-cigs that weren't specifically made for hash oil. In general, those kinds of pen vapes are the ones where the runny oil works better. Then there are the purpose built vape pens like the Thermovape or Omicron (my next purchase :hello: ) vaporizers. These vapes in general can handle the more stable waxes and shatters a lot better than the e-cig style pen vapes.

Hash oil can also be put on a bowl of weed. This is my preferred method right now for a two reasons. One is that it makes the bowl last a Long time, two is I have no money to buy a dabbing rig like a nail or skillet and so putting it on a bowl is fine for me for now. Now this method works fine and will get you quite high however it's nothing compared to the rush that you get with a dab.

It can also be used to make edibles. Just instead of cooking weed into butter or oil, you use hash oil. Now i've never made a batch myself, however I have had a little piece of a Hubby Bar which are chocolate bars made with hash oil and that little piece got me High as Fuck.

Hope this helps you be a little more informed about hash oil. There's so much more too it but I don't claim to be any sort of expert, in fact I've only made it myself once however my friend makes some killer wax that I've been getting lately so I decided to try and educate myself a bit.

Happy Toking :smoking:

6. Must be me-I've never considered wax/shatter/amber (amber is shatter) to be Hash.
    What makes hash hash? Is bubble hash dab able? (Just to horn in, just seemed relevant!)
    Debbie ;)

7. the form it's in is really just a preference.

8. #8 stevizzy, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    I've been smoking weed for over 40 years...yep...I'm 62 guys, but I'm also a noob when it comes to concentrates. Maybe 25 years ago I tried a murky hash oil that looked like crude petroleum. It made me cough for what seemed like hours and I never did it again. Now with all the clear, beautiful concentrates around, I'd like to have another go at it.

My question is using a nail. I plan to buy an Infinity nail and I've seen it used for oil and other concentrates on video's. Lately I've been using a glass rod heated to vaporize my weed in a glass bong bowl for better taste and health reasons to avoid burning the weed. Yes, I also have a Vaporizer but I just don't get as stoned with the vape as doing just one hit in a bong.

Can I use the Infinity nail to smoke bud? When I heat my bowl with the glass rod, it's only good for one hit. Seems like I could heat the Infininty nail, using the extra pieces as a heat sink and be able to pass it around for more than one hit. I'm curious about all the nail pieces such as fins, heat sinks and why you would want to avoid transfering heat to the glass by spacing the titanium pieces. Please explain in detail how and why things are done smoking with a nail...and where did it get that name?

Any information you guys could give me about nails and heating weed or hash oil instead of lighting it on fire would be appreciated.

9. Hey there blade. I use an infinit nail and it works great for concentrates I personally love domeless ti nails and all I use (Infiniti rocks because its versatile). I have never smoked bud from it and not sure how you could but you should just keep a spare bowl around for the quick snap of flowers.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the nail as I personally will back the nail with being recommended and very functional!

10. ^^ Thanks for the info and recommendation for the Ti nail. I thought I could heat up the bowl???....drop some ground up herb and inhale the smoke without putting a flame on it...kinda like a vaporizer does but much faster and more intense. I've already got a Q vaporizer and I just don't get nearly as stoned on a whole bag as I do with just one hit from my either of my bongs. Heating the herb with a glass rod makes it taste really good compared to using a Bic Lighter.

btw...why do they call it a "nail"....it's really just a titanium bowl...sorta.

11. #11 goodtimes91, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    I just got mine a week ago! Had other domeless versions before. I've you've see that then I'm checking into it haha. I use it on my mothership torus recycler :)

12. You are right as well, I don't really know why I call it that basically just what I've seen it called haha...however for the non butane hits try and get an "herb iron" has a ceramic tip that heats up like a saudering (sp?) iron and you just touch to your herb , even comes with a glass vape attachment! Butane free milks! Or even the beewax but I don't like the taste it leaves

13. The original nails were and still are made from glass. They typically have a large round flat head and the body goes into a point, like a nail. Ti gives us the nice deep lips and adjustable designs.

If you try to vape bud on a nail/skillet, you're going to have a bad time. Ti holds heat a lot better than glass but you will lose heat too fast to fully vape a nug. If the nail is too hot, the plant matter will combust and you'll be smoking and not vaporizing. You may get a small hit but glow rodding like you do currently or using an herb iron, as goodtimes suggested, are the best ways to vape bud in a bong.

14. Just got my new dome and nail and honey bee extractor I've been makin my own concentrates the past few days and they are awesome, I've made BHO and ISO hash oil which is kinda dirty but it does the job lol plus I made it with all my stems and bud I had already ran through my honey bee extractor, so otherwise I would have just thrown it away lol it's trash hash. But I got a glass nail bc the titanium nail is 65 bucks.. :-0 lol and the glass one just came with the setup I was getting but I was wondering why titanium nails are so expensive an if they are better than a glass nail. If its for heat reasons idk why bc when I heat my glass nail I can hit it and hand it off too someone else and they can get a good hit too without reheating if they have a dab ready.

15. Titanium's selling point is durability and its ability to hold heat. I persoanlly prefer Quartz over all that. Flavor for days.

16. Right on, I thought that's what I'd be paying for, but if I don't have a problem with my glass nail holding heat I guess I shouldn't buy a titanium nail until I over dab and drop my glass one by accident haha. Thanks man, and the glass does seem to better flavor the wax, next to titanium which I've only hit once out of a friends bong.

17. I can pretty much assure you the glass one is going to break. I would invest in quartz in the future ;)

18. Right on, yeah I figured it will def break soon.. For these dabs get me hella stoned lol. I may have to make a extra long trip to gas pipe instead of my local headshop, they just started carrying pieces for wax and the equipment to make it, I think they only have regular glass nails and $70 titanium nails