Dude, where's my frost?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by importnv, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all, I might have an AK-47 and a White Rhino, both might be about two months into flowering. The buds might look great, but they have no frost? Growing situation, nutrients, and lighting is all primal. If I could hear some fellow citizens experience with their flowering states and when they notice frosting occur.

They would be under a pure 2700k spectrum. Humidity might be around 70%. I would like to hear some positive opinions. I might have been doing this for a while now, using various experimentations, I would have these plants growing under 13-14hours on, 12 off. I might have tested this in the past, with exceptional results. As far as my profession, I study plant effects in abnormal atmospheric conditions (perhaps our earth wasn\'t rotating on a 24 hour day).

Thanks for looking at this post, I hope this may bring up some interesting conversation. I will try to check back on a regular basis to answer any further questions.

2. How do you have plants at 13-14 hours light and 12 hours dark? Do they sell a timer for that?

At night, an MJ plant produces a flowering hormone. That hormone is gradually destroyed by light the next day. When the night cycle gets longer, more of the hormone builds up, and it is not all destroyed when the \"sun\" comes up. After a couple of weeks of long nights, the hormone buildup reaches a tipping point and pushes the plant into actual flower cycle. Extending your daytime period would screw that up, even with the same 12 hours of darkness. Stick to 12/12. In theory (and practice), 10/14 would force flowering/sex faster, but might not be ideal for plant growth.

\"Frosting\". Do you have budding? Are the buds not frosty? Do they have pistils at least? Can you take pictures? They\'d speak 1000 words!

3. In nature, long nights signal the plant that winter is coming and that it is time to flowers and produce seeds. As long as the day-length is long, the plants continue vegetative growth. If female flowers do appear, there will only be a few. These flowers will not form the characteristic large clusters or buds. If the days are too short, the plants flowers too soon, and remain small and underdeveloped.

At the equator (0 degrees altitude) day length lasts about 12.5 hours on June 21 and 11.5 hours on December 22. About 45 degrees north, day-length varies between about 16 and nine hours of dark. Near the Arctic Circe on June 21 there is no night. On December 22 the whole day is dark. The longer day-length toward the north prevents
    marijuana from flowering until later in the season.

This is mainly an experimentation. The plant does not know the difference if it were growing in a 20 hour day and 20 hour night, it will adapt to its surroundings. I have been experimenting on other plants, now I am experimenting on the marijuana plant. My expectations are that it will grow a denser flower, not necessarily more potent, but that will be discussed later.

A recent experimentation has been on the Artemisia Absinthium plant, commonly known as (Wormwood) an old time mythical plant that has been used in medicines, and the fabled drink Absinthe. The end result was larger flowers, thicker stalks, and more lustrous leafs.

On my current experiment, I am experiencing the same results, the only thing I am worried about is - I am not seeing the same kind of frosting that is occurring in potent plants the more experienced marijuana growers are producing.

4. humidity should be around 40% during flowering. and idk, they may just not..

5. i think 30% sounds a little better... 50-60% for vegging.

6. I don\'t understand your use of the conditional tense -- are you growing these plants or aren\'t you? Is this a plan or is this actually happening right now?

Um, what causes us to experience days and nights is the rotation of the Earth, not the rotation of the sun. And just when was it that days weren\'t 24 hours?

Actually it is the length of the dark period, not the light period, that is the strongest inducer to flowering. So you had it right in the first part of this quote but completely wrong in the second part.

No, at the equator a day is equally long on the Summer solstice as it is on the Winter solstice. By definition the equator is equidistant from the North Pole and the South Pole, and the extent to which the Earth tilts its rotational axis towards the sun is equal at both ends of the wobble cycle.

Gee, tell us more, Mr. Science.

Wrong. The plant definitely knows the length of the dark period. In fact, that\'s the point you were trying to make yourself earlier.

That\'s because of your ridiculous theories and lighting experiments. Stick to a 24-hour cycle, and give the plant less than 12 hours dark in veg cycle and at least 12 hours uninterrupted dark in flower cycle. There is no need to try to reinvent the wheel here. I think you need to read the grow guides and sticky posts here at GC and then follow what knowledgeable growers have found works and not fart around with these experiments.

Really? Well you seem incredibly out of touch with some basic concepts for a scientist or a botanist or whatever it is you are trying to tell us you do for a living. Respectfully, you seem to be throwing around a lot of flaky ideas and half-baked knowledge without really knowing what you are talking about.

7. toasty were you picked a lot when you were a kid:confused:

8. :smoke:

9. No, but I don\'t shy away from calling someone\'s bluff either. We used to have something other than 24-hour days because of the rotation of the sun? Come on...

You know what, this OP can be \"right\" all he wants, I\'ll be glad to be wrong, but I\'ll be the one harvesting potent bud and getting stoned. I\'m not the one 2 months into flowering with no crystals.

10. its either sad plants or sad genetics. if any variable was out of wack its gotta be your 26 hour days or whatever youve got them at. if you are trying to increase yields with a longer flower photoperiod, give em 13 hours of light for the last 2 weeks. i wouldnt, but ive heard some half-wit hillbilly at THseeds say 14 hours of light when he started flushing increased his yields. i would bet that messes with the quality, and i personally would not to take peoples advice if their teeth look like rotting apples falling out of their face. its gotta be your funky light stuff causing this, and i dont think anything besides super awesome attention and a-whole-nother month of 12/12 flowering could help your situation too much. i bet co2 enrichment would help alot too. stick with the bibles dude. if you ask me it makes perfect sense that your mucking with the photoperiod mucked with your plants potency. better luck next time.

11. btw when he ran 14 hours of light he ran 10 hours of dark. and im sure hes harvested a dozen times. in a seed bank lab.

12. Hey Toasty, I just wanted to enlighten you on a little info about \"what I do for a living\"

I hope you don\'t think that your 3,000 some posts on this website makes you the king of pot. In fact, I work in a federal owned lab testing many different standards for growing all kinds of plant life, and many different conditions. I do know what I\'m talking about. By the way, my information about the latitudes and their day times, I assure you is 100% correct. Do your research, or go back to 3rd grade before you come and judge my work.

I did make a typo mistake about saying the sun the rotates on a 24 hour period, I meant the earth - that was a mistake on my part.

This research work that I am doing particularly with the marijuana plant is to test growth, and flowering in unearthly conditions. I am not a home grower growing the most potent pot I can to get stoned with. So to everyone who has POSITIVE feedback, let me know. I am guessing more that you guys are no help, and you really don\'t know much of anything else besides growing pot.

Toasty, have you ever grown anything else besides pot? and if so, have you even tested things like, what happens to plant on a 20 hour cycle? or even 40 hours? You have a lot of learning to do before you can tell me that I am wrong. Plants do not have a built in clock like your brain hopefully still has, when plants are on a constant cycle - they adapt to that cycle, and in some cases they benefit from it, in some cases they do not. So unless your telling me that your the top scientist at MIT, then seriously... go get a job.

13. toasty is right. importnv, you dont know shit. end of story.
    now if you want to argue with me.... try me.

::edit::

just noticed something.
    if you arent growing at home that means that you are growing \"Legal bud\" which is <1% THC, now im pretty sure that none of those strains are less than 1% so you are lying yet again. and why are you trying everything that has already been done.

oh and ps - i dont just grow pot, and dont care about \"what you do for a living\"

14. :eek: I am..whats the point else?

Edit>> mine are real frosty;)

15. [quote name=\'importnv\'] have you even tested things like, what happens to plant on a 20 hour cycle? or even 40 hours? Plants do not have a built in clock , when plants are on a constant cycle - they adapt to that cycle, and in some cases they benefit from it, in some cases they do not.

Small edit on the quote, however I think this point is a valid one. If its was tested the results might be favorable. (might not)

check it out and post the results

16. if its input you want I\'d suggest, more info.
    lighting, ferts, medium, watering and nute regime. A few picks of your set up would help to get input.

17. The best help is the help you find on your own.

Go read a book, read various journals, webpages, forums, etc. Dont come on here being a dick. I think Toasty put ya in place... You sound like a newb. (im not talking about post count). I\'ll admit i\'m a noob, but I got frosty buds because I can sit back and do my own research :) I\'d ditch all these funky time scheduals you got. We grow plants in 12/12 and 18/6 for a reason - were not doing that shit for the fun of it.

You\'d better find out how many days its been since you switched to 12/12 - its always helpful to keep track of this.

18. hey buddy, mind telling all of us what the hell thats gotta do with anything? or ya just trying to poke fun and be a jerk?

19. importnv threating our members won\'t fly here pal...

20. can i ask why you came here in the first place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.