Duct Tape

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Danker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hey can I use duct tape as a temporary electrical connection until I go to the store and get electrical tape. I have a light fixture id like to set up but I don't have electrical tape at this time. I have searched google but couldnt find the answer I was looking for. This was be a permanent thing prolly just a couple days to a week.

2. i wouldn't.. wire nuts are 25 cents at home depot or lowes.... done deal.. no fires.. why risk it

3. It'll work. I like it better than regular electrical tape for things that are going to be warm, but wire nuts are the long term solution.

-Loki

4. Yea I just plan on using it for a couple of days. Not long term. That's why I asked cause I didnt wana make any fires!!!

5. depends on if its A/C or D/C . D/C would be ok but A/C never. wire nuts is the answer your looking for. dont ever use just duct tape or electrical tape. the wire can poke out of the tape and spark if it make a connection with any thing that is conductable. please be safe with electricity. 25 cent wire nut is not worth the risk

6. I wouldnt try duct tape, not even for a "temporary" solution. Electricity is no joke :eek:

7. It's only funny when you shock your buddy! Seriously though...it can KILL you! If it's not worth doing right, it's not worth doing at all...gook luck!

8. And for what its worth some kinds of duct tape are electrically conductive.

9. ^ this is true