drying/curing tips from weathered growers :D

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by closetgrassman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hey guys I am going to be harvesting relatively soon, and I have already harvested some smaller light neglected buds a few days ago to try out drying/curing before the rest of my crop.

Before I started this grow, I researched all the different aspects of it, lighting, ventilation, seedling, veg, flower, flush, dry, cure. etc. You know the whole shabang. Anyway, I was wondering if what I had planned for drying and curing is correct, and if any of you can point me in the right direction in terms of hints or tips.

I know slow drying from what I have read is the way to go. Here is what I was planning on doing with my crop.

On harvest day I will chop down all of my plants. Trim off the big leaves, then go back over and trim off the rest of the leaves. The leaves with resin build up I will save. Following all the trimming, I will hang the branches with buds on them in a dark cool well ventilated room for approximately 5 days, or until the branches are brittle.

Following this I will remove the buds and put them in glass mason jars(make sure I am not packing them tight) for about a week. During the week in the jars I will open the jars at least once a day for 10-15 minutes to "burp" the buds, then close it again.

After about a week of burping, the buds should be smokeable? This is where I am uncertain. How will I know? Please any input for this whole method please post here :D I have come really far and don't want to mess up now.

Thank you in advance fellow Blades.
    :hello:

2. curing is complete when you burp and the bud inside is the same as it was the last time you filled the jar after a burp....after a week(depending on temps)sum smaller buds may be ready to sample but should still have a ways to go....i cured for just under a month...at the end of first week depending on mason jar size(i used widemouth 1gal)your burping should be once a day...when i finished i was burping every 2 days...temps high of 75 (during day) and low of 54 at night(in garage closet)...so...hope this helps...

3. Okay yes very much so. So I should be looking at a longer process? Also, how do they change in between burps? What am I looking for? What should I look out for during the whole process? Certain smells? Temps? Etc

4. smell,taste,texture,bud density...everything will change, and all for the better..lol..so take your time with it..sample it @ 10-12day intervals until you're satisfied...have fun

5. Okay, thanks a lot man :D

6. if you can maintain a 77-78' temp thats great...so try your best to range in that area the entire cure process

7. Where can you buy big mason jars?

8. I was going to look on Amazon or something. Or do you mean in person?

9. I got mine at wallmart for $6. Got a case of 12 1qt jars. And they come with the two piece lid, which is good if you planning to vacuum seal for a longer shelf life after you finish curing. They have some vids on youtube. Hope that helps

10. I use widemouth quart mason jars from wal-mart. It is kind of late to see them in stores this time of year, you may have to order online and pay shipping.