Drying advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by itokealot, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I chopped my plant last Friday (6/24). I put the buds on screen because I had no place (or the time) to hang them. The buds were sitting on a screen in total darkness in my grow space. I couldn't set up a fan though. So they sat there on the screen for five days. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I couldn't check it until this morning. They looked good, fairly dry on the outside. The stems, when bent, did not break. So I decided to put them in a jars. This was a couple hours ago. I just checked them and I see condensation developing on the inside of the jar. Does this mean the bud should air dry some more? Maybe another day? Then put in jars? Obviously, I want to avoid mold.

2. Bump..I'd Like to know too

3. By the way, what is a bump? I see this all the time but, obviously, I don't know what it means. Thanks.

4. bump means.. like im bumping this post to the top..

5. They're not dry enough. Do the paper bag method take them out and shred some paper bags then put all your bud and the shredded bag into a large paper bag. Let sit for a day or 2 and then jar. It's better to over dry them then to have some mold issues. And over drying them won't hurt at all you just don't want them turning to dust when you pick it up. Put them into jars and open the jars once or twice a week for an hour. It'll still be a good smoke right after dried but after 3-4 week cure... Mmmmmmm

6. try bag drying for a few days, yunno, in a paper sack. close it when you go out and then open it up at least once a day for an hour or so. dont jar it till its dry enough to snap. then open the jars daily to allow the moisture to vent off as the turpines flow, changing aromas from a weedy green to a fragrant yum. has been my experiance that when jarred it improves greatly with age. ya really never want to see moisture in a jar. it will condense on the outside of the buds and can cause mold or mildew which destroys its uses all together. molds are hazardous to your lungs and i dont know if even hashing it could remove the mold. just always make it dry enough to roll a good burning doob, and it is usually ok to start jarring. use a bigg nug for the smoke test so you dont get a false interp by smoking a small drier nug and assume all is dry. much luck to ya! -D-

7. damn, bro you beat me to the punch! glad were on the same track. man i'd hate to see a bro lose his shit to mold. never have shredded paper. does it lose fiber into the weed? id think paper dust would stick to the trichomes if theres any moisture at all. i suppose the rigidity of paper sack may not cause the dust. still a great idea. i wonder if a soda cracker in the sack would work and perhaps hold down some "give-away" aroma? -D-

8. Ooo the soda cracker is a good idea... Guess you could use insta rice as well.. Tried that with my iPhone that got wet once.
    I just use paper lunch bags and scissors... Never have paper dust or anything :) might depend on the type of bag and your method of shredding

9. Damn, I'm glad you guys came along when you did. When I pulled the bud out to put it in the bag there were a few buds that were soaked with water. That was kinda scary. And I hate to say it but I think I saw some ultra small white patches on a few buds. It could be mold. I will be so fucking pissed if that happens. I wait for a long as time for that bud to stop and I've never had this problem with my grows before.

10. Another thing, do you use the bag method all the time? Do you just go from cut to bag? Or cut, air dry to bag? IDK, I'm sorta confused. Anyways I think the bag method will help out fine with my current problem. However, if there is mold then I'm shit out of luck!

11. I do cut to air dry for a few days then bag for 2 more and the jars

12. Thanks XiaoGG. One more question: When I put the bud in the bag, I was worried that the outer crystals would rub off onto the paper. Does this happen? If so, how much?

I've only grown 4 times and none of my grows had that sugary/crystalline look on the outside (I'm a total newb). Is there a drying method that minimizes crystal loss?

13. LOL. In a forum site the listing is done by posts on dates. So no posts your question gets cycled down to the bottom. If you type anything and hit reply it goes to the top of the listing..bump is just a way of putting something halfway intelligent.

14. You will have minimal loss if you dont treat it like a crazy person. For myself I do not use a bag. I am in Atlanta and grow indoor..humidity is low in my place. I dry for 3 days max of 4 then snip them off into my curing jars. First couple days I open the jars leave them open 15-20 min then close them. Then everyday id I remember I open it up and close it.

After about 2 weeks you will notice a 100% different smell. It will go from like a hay/grass smell to a deeper richer smell.

15. #16 itokealot, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    I had mine drying on a rack for 5 days, then put them in jars. The buds felt reasonably dry beforehand. I looked at a jar 2 hours later and there was condensation inside. When I removed the bud to place in bags, there were a few that were soaked, as if I had submerged them in water before putting them in the jar. I didn't have a fan running in the grow/dry space. I'm assuming this had something to do with the buds still having that much water in them? Or maybe the 68% RH?

16. Probably the 68% humidity. My place is like 40%. I have to use a humidifer to increase it.