Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dry eyes

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Tree Of Life, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Does weed make your eyes dry? Sometimes I have to put water in them. :smoking:

2. I have noticed that my eyes get dry sometimes too

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. My eyes are pretty sensitive to the effects of cannabis I've noticed. It's not as bad now after smoking for a few years but when I first started my eyes would have NO moisture and they would turn BEET red. I needed to use eyedrops when smoking around people because people would always freak out about it lmao. I've never seen anyone elses eyes get as red as mine used to. Without eyedrops I just looked ridiculous, like i just smoked an entire pound of dank after just 1 bowl ahaha, and my eyes would practically hurt from being so dry. I could "feel" the redness of my eyes like I could tell how red they were just by what they felt like. Splashing water sort of made them feel better but eye drops work the best since thats what they're actually meant for.

Anyways, to answer your question. YES. Marijuana does dry your eyes out.

4. But why does it dry them out? Is there some kin of benefit from having dry eyes? Doesn't it help people with Glacoma?

5. #5 Ganja ☤, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
    The smoke contacting your eyes can contribute to dry eyes.

6. I believe it raises blood pressure, therefore expanding the blood vessels in your eyes and making them red. But I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Don't put water on em lol. Use proper visine or store equivalent.

8. just invest $3 or $4 in some eye drops. problem solved  

9. Dude. My eyes right now are are dry as shit. Dude im so baked. Dude let it be.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Cannabis actually lowers your blood pressure. The reason your eyes get red is because cannabis causes your body to relax and your blood vessels dilate allowing more blood to flow through them easier, lowering overall blood pressure. This increased blood flow is what causes red eyes.

I don't know the exact reason cannabis makes your eyes dry out but I figure it might be something to do with the smoke itself rather than the weed.

11. Ahh I actually think it might lower your blood pressure. It speeds up your heart rate and I always connect that with higher blood pressure

12. It's one of the most common symptoms of marijuana man. Just as that guy^ said, let it be. 

:smoke: 

13. I don't mind putting water in them, I just want to know why it makes them dry.

14. What do you mean of course it makes your eyes dry

15. Mine always get quite dry, even when I vape though, so it's not smoke.

16. Mine have always gone bright red, could never hide it from the old dear haha. eye drops are a winner but not certain why it happens

17. Rohto Eye Drops! Dun

18. To those that say it is from smoke, obviously does not use edibles! I do not smoke, I make canna oil capsules that I use to control chronic back problems, pain, and inflammation. I take a large dose every night. I wake up around 2 am every morning baked out of my mind and my eyes look like I put red food coloring in them haha. So no it is not from the smoke, rather one (or a combination) of the cannabinoids. Which one(s) exactly, I am not sure. I was curious of this as well. I am almost positive it is not solely the THC. I used to use high CBD and would get red eyes as well even though I was not high.

Bottom line, it's no worry, it happens. Either put up with it or use eye drops and you will be fine. Nothing harmful about having your eyes bloodshot from cannabis. If anything, it would be a good thing I assume since it has a positive effect on eye problems like glaucoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Again, I think some of you are misunderstanding what it is I'm asking. I have no problem with my eyes being dry. I just want to know why it happens.

I'm in a similar situation, I have dry/red eyes and eye irritation problems even when I'm sober (I use eyedrops even when sober) so when I smoke weed my eyes get insanely red. So red you can barely see any white when you look at them. 

I envy those who can smoke without looking stoned. I look stoned when I'm sober. I look INSANELY stoned when I'm stoned.