Drummers / Guitarists

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ShinyTokin, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Well Ive had a drum set in my house for like 5 years. Never really played kind of just fucked around sometimes. Maybe like 3 times a year haha. A few months ago I decided I wanted to be a serious musician and now I'm in love with them. I started getting lessons once a week. If any people want to give me any tips, or websites to get some sheet music (i hate tabs) or just anything you want to comment on to help me develop thatd be cool

Also, I realized I really wanted to learn guitar. There is an electric guitar and my house that I'm trying to teach myself how to play but again I really hate tabs. For the time being Im not getting lessons or anything, just want to teach myself. For some reason I want to learn the song Jumper really bad.

I hate long posts cuz I lose my train of thought but any help with either would be awesome

2. Just keep playing and practicing constantly. Maybe get together a few bands to play in. Read a lot of tabs (mxtabs.net,etc) and learn chords and just practice a shit load. Start making up your own stuff and have fun. I play mainly play drums(since 5th grade) but I also play novice guitar and am pretty good at piano, jam on.

3. Sometimes I think people don't realize the countless hours of practice and mindless technique work that being a "serious musician" entails. Sorry to be a debbie downer, but if you want any chance at being one, you are going to have to buckle down and make up for lost time.

4. Well, the only advice I can give is to try to be as patient as you can. I've been playing guitar for 4 years, but I could have started sooner and progressed faster had I not kept getting frustrated all the time. One good thing to do is to learn some scales on the guitar to get your fingers used to stretching. And just learn what you can from anybody and everybody. I used to sit and watch people play, and have them teach me a riff. It makes you feel accomplished cause you're progressing, and you also get a feel for different styles.

5. These words are very true. Coming from experience. Unfortunately.

6. you got a lot of work to do man. i've been playing for close to 7 years now and i'm still not even that good