Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Drug testing laws

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by third planet, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I just had an interview today for an internship. It went really well and the two people who interviewed me basically said that they would be calling me tomorrow to offer me the job unless the last person they're interviewing "blows them away." They seemed really impressed with me and I feel confident about getting an offer. During the interview, I asked if the offer would be contingent on anything else to see if they would mention a possible drug test. However, they didn't mention anything aside from maybe having to fill out some paperwork. I plan on asking again (when they make the offer) whether I have to do anything else before I start working at the end of May. I also plan on checking with the HR lady. Are they legally required to tell me about a drug test before I accept the offer? I don't want to accept, start toking again (I stopped 2 weeks ago once I scheduled the interview to be safe), and then show up for work next month only to discover that I need to take a test. Anyone familiar with the laws here?

2. I don't think they have to give you any notice, i would stop smoking if i were you just in case, but if smoking is more important then work then...... burn one :smoke:

3. Well, if I ask them if I need to do anything else before I come into work and they say no, I'm guessing that means they don't test, because why would they risk waiting until the internship starts to test me, knowing that they might have to let me go if I fail? The interviewer said he would like to have my decision by the end of the week so they can find someone else if need be. Why would they put themselves in that position?

4. Hold off smoking until you have the internship confirmed, and have been working for a couple weeks.

Is transitory sensation worth possibly fucking up a job in this economy? Just drink a damned beer and have a few shots.

5. If you're applying for a job, you should always assume that they can drug test you for entry/any time during your employment.

Companies get tax breaks if they partake in drug testing, its part of the drug-free workplace program.

6. I hate alcohol, don't drink.

Of course I wouldn't risk a job by smoking if I thought there was a reasonable chance of being tested. But this isn't a normal job with a high turnover rate. It's a summer accounting internship at a small-ish construction company (400 employees total) in a small accounting department (7 employees). If they tested me right before I started working or during the course of the summer and I failed, they would be left with no intern. They stressed the importance of letting them know my decision soon so they can have someone else in place.

I don't think companies get tax breaks for drug testing. The Drug Free Workplace Act doesn't even require employers to drug test. Check your facts before you start spewing bullshit.

7. By law you cannot be tested for drugs or alcohol unless stated in your hand book and it must be signed by you. They cannot pull a hey surprise and hand you a cup. If anything else its because it is considered a medical type procedure and you have to sign to allow your company to view the test results.