Drowning seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Townbike203, Sep 23, 2015.

1. hello all you good people soo just trying to see what people think. Soo I germinated seeds in paper towels and have pretty good success but I was wondering about the cup of water method, will some seeds drown if you leave them in there for 48 hrs while you wait for the tap root? Thanks again just trying to get opinions, Im looking to try a different method..

2. Shouldn't in 48 hours, i do 24 with mine.

3. do they usually crack in 24? Or do you just pop em in the soil either way after 24 hrs? Thanks for reply too

4. Ive read that is best for when you have old seeds that have been sitting for a long time. I use the paper towel in a zip lock bag I've always had 100%. Clones I'm having a hell of a time with.

5. #5 PNWClosetGrower, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
    I had one that popped just overnight in a cup of water and the other 5 i've germinated four popped in the towel, i soaked them for 24 hours and put in the paper towels in an unsealed zip loc in the drawer where it was dark and warm and it took two days, 4 of them got a tap root i gave the other one a few more days and it never cracked so i trashed it. it was a tiny sickly looking seed though. still though that's 80% not too shabby.

6. I have left mine in a glass of water for 3 days before and just put them straight into the pot once the tap root starts to show and worked for me.

7. there is no benefit from submerging seeds it water and a real risk of drowning. The seeds have evolved to fall in to the damp soil and germinate when warm. At no point in their natural cycle would they be submerged in water.

Dampen your soil when mixing and place the dry seed in about half inch to an inch deep. The seed will draw in the moisture just as fast as being submerged, but not risk of drowning.

Keep the soil around 25-28 degrees and it should break surface within 48 hours. Soaking for this time is just wasting time and taking an unnecessary risk

8. thanks for the replys all, but yeah I'm even hesitant to drop em in water, just cuz that's not how nature does it lol but I also don't know know how I feel about the paper towel I do ok but I seen the roots kinda attach to the paper towel and had some that never broke soil that could be for multiple reasons lol but yeah I'm just trying to see what people say about the cup of water method cuz I know a lot of people use it and I believe me personally would rather pre germ rather then just poping it in soil..... Thanks everybodu

9. Do gotta say the idea of drowning seeds worry be a bit but best thing I can do is give it attempt. I also thogbt about pre soaking then straight into soil. Like 24 hrs in water then boom in the pot they go.

10. what would the pre-soaking achieve? I don't understand the point in doing it.

I start most of my seeds in lightly dampened paper towels, but that's because I usually grow hydroponically, but when I grow in soil I just drop the seed in to the soil and leave it for a couple of days.

If it doesn't spout like that then your soil isn't suitable. It's most likely holding on to too much water. Marijuana germinates at the slightest hint of moisture, but they need lots of air.

Covering the pot with clear food wrap is worth doing to stop the surface drying out so fast, but I wouldn't water a seedlet that hasn't broken surface yet

11. #11 PNWClosetGrower, Sep 24, 2015
    From what i read you just put them in the cup for a day or two for faster water absorbtion, i think it makes it root faster. I've only done it 6 times but the only one that didn't sprout was a tiny seed i doubted from the get go.

12. First time I grew I had 2 seeds. One germinated in a wet paper towel and the other I had to drop in a cup of water. Worked for me!

13. once again thanks too everyone sharing there thoughts.. looks like I have a few options to try

14. #14 pokesmot240, Sep 24, 2015
    I strictly used the paper towel method up until earlier this year. A few months back I tried dropping them in water for 24 hours then placing them in <span class="skimwords-potential">paper towels</span>. In my experience, it drops a few days off the total time spent by soaking them first. I haven't lost a seed with either method yet.

15. Lots of good info so far, I toss mine in a cup of water for 12 hours until they sink when poked, most times the ones that dont sink end up not sprouting for me, but I put them all in wet medium after 12 hours or so anyway.

16. Yeah I'm glad people stopped by I'm going to be giving the cup of water method a try within the week , I don't think I'll leave them in there for more then 48 hrs lol but yeah if for whatever reason they don't pop in 48 hrs , witch I'm pretty sure they will I'll throw them in a paper towel for a bit.. one of these times I'll try just a pre soak then straight into the soil but I do like the idea of seeing the tap root

17. Make sure the paper towel isn't saturated it can drown them too, ring it out just a bit so it's damp and if you baggie it don't seal the bag.

18. #18 jay719, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
    Your seed is only going to absorb x amount of moisture. Submerging the seed in water gives no advantage over any other germination environment that maintains an adequate balance of moisture and air. As gold grower stated all it effectively does is adds the risk of damaging the seed. My seeds germinated and sprouted all in 72 - 96 hours. Had I soaked my seed for 24 hours then went to paper towels, then to my medium I would have still been waiting.

19. I just plant them and put seran wrap over the cups till they come up.. I soaked em 12hrs for a long time but dont really notice a difference