Dropping out of college

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by purplenuggets, Dec 7, 2010.

1. #1 purplenuggets, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
    So, I took a break from packing up the shit in my dorm room to write this. Let's start from when I woke up this morning. I was sitting in class, listening to the end of semester presentations that everyone gives, when I realized that I wasn't happy. It's always been like that, but I just convinced myself that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe it was my friends, family, and society as a whole that helped me to keep up the charade for as long as I did, but inevitably I blame myself for trying to be something that I wasn't. I love science, math, and nature, but academia has utterly twisted these things against me. Ever see the movie "Good Will Hunting?" Yeah, you don't need an expensive education to study the things that you love; only a library card.

Really, I'm just tired. Tired of busting my ass and stressing myself to the breaking point to earn a piece of paper that means absolutely nothing. To have worthless currency in my pocket or numbers in my bank account? To have a better wife, house, and car than my neighbor? To prove my worth to others, to society? I might be wrong, or maybe I dropped more acid than I ought to of, but at least I'm free to live life on my own terms. And now, here I am. About to move back home two weeks early, and staying permanently.

Hell, the only regret I have is knowing that I was blinded until just a few hours ago. I've maintained a 3.6 GPA the last year and a half, gotten accepted to one of the most prestigious medical programs in the Midwest, outperformed 99% of my peers, negotiated high paying jobs with Fortune 500 companies, and smoked a lot of weed and done a lot of drugs in the process. And even after all that, I still feel inconsolably empty. The answer was always there, I just couldn't accept it. Some scientist, right? Throwing out the persistent conclusion in favor of a totally unsubstantiated one, based solely on ideology and opinion. To me, that's my biggest shortcoming as a human being.

And for once in my life I don't feel like putting a bullet between my eyes. And let me tell you, it feels good.

2. It's the 21st century, you almost NEED a college degree to be successful.
    Either way, good luck to you brother.

3. Good on you for having the balls to be honest with yourself

4. Define success. Now come up with a definition that doesn't include material or social status.

Thanks, but I say that it is you who needs the luck, my friend.

5. Atleast you don't regret the decision.
    A whole-hearted decision is usually always a good one.
    If anything, you can always go back to college if need be, you know?

6. Success is being happy, no matter what.

Good luck my friend. I feel your pain, I've been a perpetual college student for longer than many have been alive here, so please carefully consider your actions, as I do regret not finishing my degree when my life was considerably less complicated.

That being said, I stand by my original statement here. You've got to be happy. Anyone can make money. Not everyone can find true happiness. I wish you the best.

7. I see your point, but how exactly will you survive in a world that is based off those very concepts dude? That's all the sheeple have and when they see you aren't contributing to that because you are off in freedom land, you'll be assed out and in a shittier situation than the one you perceived just a few moments ago..

8. Man homie you straight you know what your doin just keep doin it. This is a

corrupt society fuck people mayne do what you do.

9. Thanks for the support guys, it definitely makes this change a lot easier. I just wish Lukas was still around to weigh in.

10. I know exactly how you feel. I just made the same decision this October. It just felt like I had been going through the motions for too long. I was just going to school because that was what people expected me to do. I never really applied myself throughout high school into college, but managed to get decent grades. I have been playing basketball my whole life up until this year too. Played at a powerhouse prep school, ended up getting a scholarship to a university, played a couple years....It just got to a point where it wasnt for me anymore. Stick with your decision, but start looking for work right away. It takes some time to find a decent job without a degree in this economy. I'm working on becoming a personal trainer / nutritionist , it's always been something I wanted to get into. But keep your head up, things sometimes get worse before they get better. good luck

11. Well all do, my friend, we all do...:(

Follow your heart. Sometimes the best road ahead is the one you make, not one that is made for you.

12. TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,\t
    And sorry I could not travel both\t
    And be one traveler, long I stood\t
    And looked down one as far as I could\t
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;\t

Then took the other, as just as fair,\t
    And having perhaps the better claim,\t
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;\t
    Though as for that the passing there\t
    Had worn them really about the same,\t

And both that morning equally lay\t
    In leaves no step had trodden black.\t
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!\t
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,\t
    I doubted if I should ever come back.\t

I shall be telling this with a sigh\t
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:\t
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-\t
    I took the one less traveled by,\t
    And that has made all the difference.

13. Do what you love.

14. Well OP, I've always been able to tell you're one real dude, so continue to follow your heart. You're a smart guy and will find whatever you want if you truly want it.

15. I am interested in what you plan to do now. You've stated that you haven't an interest in monetary gains or material possessions..but yet, doesn't one still need to find a way to provide for himself, at very least? What's your plan?

16. If you know your going to be successful with out a degree and your happy about it. fuck it, forget about college. If you believe paying a grip of money to get that piece of paper and its a waste of time. then , good riddance you figured it out because you would be half way through and would regret the fact that you payed that much money for a worthless piece of paper. I know some people who say money doesn't buy you happiness, but hell I'm not a firm believer on this. If your happy right now. then shit life is good :smoking:

17. idk man good for you...im experiencing the same type of thing good to no im not the only one...my look on things is that society our nation our government and the majority of our human race has changed what true knowledge...if you dont regret it then your set..good luck to you

18. Shouldn't you wait until after you go to school to find yourself?

19. My thoughts are pretty much the same, and I haven't dropped acid once, so you're good there. Or maybe I'm crazy and the acid has affected you.

Either way, good for you.

20. That piece of paper means alot to those that employ people, and the currency they'll provide you has value to the majority of people on earth ;)
    What you choose todo with that currancy is your choice, and by no means do you need to spend it on a wife, house or car, but without that currency those options, and many more are going to be harder to achieve.

I worked hard to get my certificates, and had to sacrifice some time to achieve them, but in the end i chose to work for myself, so that i could enjoy the simple things, (home & food) with less stress than my mother that chose a completely "free lifestyle".

If your going to bail then theres nothing wrong without, but don't forget to sign some paperwork to defer your studys... No point in burning bridges :cool: