dropping out of college?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChillFave, May 6, 2013.

1. so I've got a gig to go start up an agricultural firm in Laos because my family owns a plot of land there with papaya trees growing, and I was gonna major in business to learn how all that works... but the thing is, everything I've learned so far seems totally irrelevant to growing food in a third world country.

I was majoring in economics and I did super well in those classes (3.7-3.9 range), but i am completely stumped by how to differentiate price elasticity of a function with derivatives.... i really just wanna drop out and start raising capital for the move over there. what do you folks think, is a college degree necessary in these sorts of situations? my parents think so :confused:

2. Totally drop out. All start up businesses make it big. You will be fine.

3. I'd still get a business degree just incase something happens and plans fall through.

It's one of those degrees that's good for anyone to have.

4. How far are you into schooling? My thought is you already spent a shit ton of money on tuition, you might as well follow through with it and get your degree for a backup plan.

5. actually most of my credits are from running start, and i've only paid for one year of schooling so far. it would be a hell of a lot more expensive to pay for the rest of this degree though, it being from a university and all

6. i figure if steve jobs and bill gates did fine without going through college all the way, then start-up businesses are not all about learning stuff other people want you to do

7. Unfortunately those two are one in a billion.

Keep that in mind.

8. OP, it seems like you know what your doing/got your shit together. Do what YOU think is best for YOU.

hint hint, drop out if thats what you want. You could always go back later.

9. Being optimistic is great, but what those two created are the exception, not the rule.

do what you feel, but know that you'll feel a lot more secure with a back up plan in case plan A falls through (like the majority of start up businesses do).

10. Or if you wanna go off the numbers you threw out... 1 in 500 million. :p

But yea, still a small number. It's up to you OP, but having a degree will at least provide you a fall back plan and later classes in your degree can become more specific to what you're focusing on.

11. "Zoolander changed my life" hahaha.

You can always go back to college. College isn't for everyone, so don't feel bad if it isn't for you. You can drop out like 5 times and still go back. You can go to community colleges to get general ed then transfer for a major, or just get an AA. Businesses don't really give a shit about your grades and usually look at your employment history and whether or not you have a degree. You can also take just a semester off and then resume; It'll take longer to do finish your degree this way, but then at least you'll know what you'd like to do.

You can also go intern for someone who does something similar to what you're trying to accomplish, or work for them. That way, you'll get a real hands-on, know-how of the business, and specifics you may not learn in classes (or just slightly go over).

Only you will really be able to decide, but there are a lot of options out there, and none of the decisions you make should make you feel bad.