Droopy leaves?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smokey1113, Mar 9, 2017.

1. I planted this on the 2nd of Feb. I'm wondering if the droopy leaves are from my lighting? Theres a photo of my light source. Or maybe im overwatering/underwatering it. I've been giving the plant Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1) every other day. Maybe it's the amount of nitrogen I'm giving it? I've been wanting to top it, but I'm afraid if I top it now, it might die if it's sick. Any advice? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Thanks.

2. #2 yazdan, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    underwatered.
    (To make sure, answer these questions for yourself: Soil is dry? Pot is light? How about the time when the light is off? Same?)

If that's the case, you can read my suggestions there where I also debunked some myths about misting: https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/first-time-grower-leaves-curled-all-of-the-way-down.1445646

TL;DR: When your plant is UNDERwatered, you should NOT drowning it by a flood which in fact causes MORE stress to the poor being, and instead, you should water *only a little bit* to have the soil evenly moist and meanwhile misting the leaves, specially underneath so they'll have enough moisture on the surface which helps them recover faster.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Your plant looks upset I would check all your basics. Ph, temp, air flow and better to water not enough then to much.
    Watering is real simple stick finger in pot soil if it's bone dry then you water to get alittle run off. Also get 2 ph meters don't trust just one ph is so important. I use this combo off amazon like 15$ a set and I check it at my job in lab against 1000$ meter always pretty close. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. [​IMG] also use these buffers to check ur stuff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you yazdan. I watered it last night with some fish fertilizer while the lights were off and it perked right back up this mirning. I just get nervous about giving it to much water and causing root rot. I put like a half full solo cup of water, but it never seems to have any runoff. I'm using about a 50/50 soil and perlite mix. Some people say to water it until there's runoff but I just feel like my plant would be swimming at that point. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is this buffer an indicator solution? I might just end up getting a ph reader like you have.

7. You're welcome man, I'm glad that she's back.
    Well, about watering, I do it by this schedule and not having any problem by far:
    - water
    - mist the soil
    - mist the soil
    - water (with 20% runoff)
    By doing so, top of the root(ending of the stem) and the micro-roots around it does not becoming dry and dead, and meanwhile, the root mass/ball in the bottom doesn't get drowned.
    About the runoff, you can water her based on a similar schedule and you'll have runoff every other watering. (which is good because it balance the pH and take away the salt and some other reasons)

• Like Like x 1
  8. watering can be a tad tricky. Don't have a set "amount" of water in your head when you do it. It looks like the soil has a good deal of perlite which is good. Like the above poster said, you should go for about 20% runoff. For me, I have my girls in 7 gallon smart pots. Right now, they get about a gallon of water every watering, and then I shop vac the runoff out of the dish. That has worked well for me this go round. My previous grow I had a set "amount" of water that I did, basically two giant cup fulls, with little to no runoff..with about 2 weeks before chopping the plants started showing deficiencies. At the time I thought it was calcium, but it turns out I wasn't watering the plants enough so they essentially weren't able to use the nutrients in the soil.
    if you have a good soil, you shouldn't have to mess with your PH at all really.

• Like Like x 2
  9. and what kind of pot is that plant in? Is there good drainage underneath it? The lighting isn't ideal, CFLS have been used to grow, but there are other options. You can get a cheap t5 fixture that will use less electricity and probably do a better job with the plants. I used a 4 bulb 4ft t5 fixture to get my last 3 plants all the way through the life cycle. I did upgrade my flowering light for more power as my buds were rather airy, but the t5s definitely worked.

10. With watering the first day you don't feel water in top inch the plant still has plenty of water. You do this to let top soil dry out and makes your roots go deep.

11. Still a newbie myself, but is there any drainage holes at the bottom of your pots? Also I wouldn't use a pot with that shape, your roots barely have any room down there. Your roots are probably running out of room, I would transplant as soon as possible into a good pot with the bottom almost as wide as the top, and drainage holes at the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thank you so much jman. Y'all are awesome for helping me. :)

13. I'm not for sure what kind of pot it is. I got it at home depot. I'm gonna transplant it to a 5 gallon bucket today. I feel like it's getting root bounded by the pot, but I'm not for sure. Could root bound cause the leaves to droop?

14. Thanks pofpof, there is holes at the bottom of the pot, But that's what I figured, that the plant is getting root bounded.

15. I'm planning to switch the plant to a 5 gallon bucket today.

16. well, yes and no. What could be happening is that the pot/soil doesn't have good drainage and the roots are kind of drowning. A bigger pot, with more soil and better drainage (more perlite) will definitely help that. It could also be that the light just isn't strong enough for the plant as well. Tin foil or aluminum foil is also not a good reflector because of the wrinkles/ridges in it, it can create hot spots and burn plants. I don't think your light is intense enough for that though.

• Like Like x 1