Driving with weed (something I don't understand)

Discussion in 'General' started by emdyeks, Apr 12, 2007.

1. I know so many people that drive with weed when they are coming home from the dealer, and will actually smoke before hand, or smoke while driving when they have weed in the car. Don't people realize that a cop will never just randomly search your car unless you give them probably cause? Like smelling like weed, looking high, smoking in car, etc. So if you drive with weed and are not high, don't smell like weed, and your car doesn't reek like weed, they are not going to try to search your car. It really amazes me how stupid people can be, i bet there would be exponentially less possession arrests if people did what I listed in here, and just basically "go out of their way" to not do anything that would give a police office probable cause to search your car.

2. True to an extent. Though, they have no real reason to think you have anything, they tend to randomly bring up the issue. I've always found that its when they bring up the question "is there anything illegal in your car that you shouldnt have?" that a lot of people get really nervous and blow their cover. Just because you dont smell or appear to be under-the-influence doesn't mean they wont suspect. After all, dont cops basically believe that almost all teens are stoners, anyways. Also, its a pretty common fact that most teenagers dont know their rights. Cops know this, and use it to their advantage.

3. THAT is why I don't toke and drive.

I'm much more content and relaxed when I'm on my couch, with my feet up and my tunes on.

I remember being followed by a cop for nearly 3 kilometers with a bong in the cupholder and my friend drunk and passed out in the back seat. He just ran my plates and drove off, but I almost crapped my pants.

4. How about trying to not do anything that would give the police a reason to pull you over in the first place?:cool:

5. yeah thats true in the rich white suburbs. im white but if a black dude gets stopped over the cop will more likely search him than me and it also matters where u get stopped..its not fair but thats the truth..also what time, how many ppl your with, what they dress like...it all adds up to the cops decision...because they WANT to search you and bust you

6. So, you're saying that racial profiling plays a part in getting pulled over and busted? I can believe that. I know it happens. Hell, I'm only half white. I'm mistaken for Me'sican all the time. I live in Texas. To keep from getting pulled over, I've been known to drive with a child car seat in the back seat. A Me'sican in the wrong part of town looks suspiscious, but a Me'sican in the wrong part of town with a child car seat in the back gives a whole different view. And I drive a family car... a 1990 Corsica... really nondescript. I don't stand out.

What I'm trying to say is that there are things that you can do to lessen the chances of being pulled over in the first place. I've never been pulled over and searched for pot. And when I drive, I've usually always got weed in my car. I don't think it's because I'm lucky, either. But then again, maybe I am...:cool:

7. The car smelling like weed and u looking high isnt enough reason. They have to go by the plain view rule.

8. SO even if they smell it they cant search??? Sometimes when u pick up some dank, your whole car will reek. Just from it being in there

9. I'd be willing to bet that the smell alone is justifiable cause. Police officers have testified in numerous cases that their familiarity with the smell of weed gave them reason to believe that a suspect may be in the possession of weed.:cool:

10. luagh lightly and say, do i look like the kind of person that would carry illegal items? seriously, its a police tactic to ask blunt ass questions, when you get nervouse they can read you like a book. the trick is just really not to give a fuck. unless your directly busted.

smoking in the car is never good, its not. if your going to, bring a blunt and nothing else.

11. Go to www.norml.com and check out on the "plain view" rule which means that an officer has to see something to have reason to search your car.

12. Okay, I've been to NORML and can't seem to find anything that refers to a specific rule on 'plain view'. If you post a specific link to the info, I promise I'll read it.:cool:

13. Can you cite where it says that? I couldn't find anything on that relating to vehicle searches specifically. I know the plain view rule is generally what is required for a search of your residence, but I'm nearly positive that smell alone is reasonable suspicion to perform a vehicle search.

That's just one ruling, I did read about another that ruled a search based on smell was not permissible. However, most ruled in favor of the officer, and if an officer smells marijuana, he will search your car. Unless you have a damn good lawyer, you're not going to be able to fight it.

14. I pretty much only blaze in my car, and I've been pulled over with like 10 pipes, a shit load of weed and I just play it off like a nice dumb little girl :D I never get in trouble when I drive, and I've been pulled over stoned as hell, for some reason, it's whenever I'm doing NOTHING when I get in trouble, go figure.

Yea and that in plain sight rule, it works around here, but most cops are just assholes and do what they want anyway.