Driving Under the Influence, of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Driving Under the Influence, of Marijuana
    \nIf you are pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving, the police officer is likely to ask you to complete three tasks: Follow a pen with your eyes while the officer moves it back and forth; get out of the car and walk nine steps, heel to toe, turn on one foot and go back; and stand on one leg for 30 seconds.
    Score well on all three of these Olympic events, and there's a very good chance that you are not drunk. This so-called standard field sobriety test has been shown to catch 88 percent of drivers under the influence of alcohol.

But it is nowhere near as good at spotting a stoned driver.

“The joke with that is Cheech and Chong being arrested for doing 20 on the freeway,” said Mark A. R. Kleiman, a professor of public policy at the U.C.L.A. School of Public Affairs.

For instance, states that legalize recreational marijuana, Dr. Kleiman said, should ban establishments like pot bars that encourage people to smoke away from home. And Dr. Romano said that lowering the legal blood-alcohol concentration, or B.A.C., to 0.05 or even 0.02 percent would reduce risk far more effectively than any effort to curb stoned driving.

mark klieman can't be happy unless he is banning somebody else from doing something.   :angry: 

2. yea i was thinking when its legal, are they gonna have weed breathalizers and shit? charge us for public intox and driving under the influence of marijuana ? that would suck..

3. I can drive pretty damn well stoned, but that doesn't mean my risk of killing a pedestrian doesn't go up.

The law needs to curb dumbasses from driving

4. This is my solution to the problem...you go to the highway patrol station, and they smoke you up. Then 30 minutes later they give you your drivers test. If you pass, then you are allowed to drive stoned. If you fail then you get punished for being caught driving high. Problem solved in the most fair way possible.

That's completely asinine and utterly useless. There are way too many factors to determine one's ability while they are under the influence. A seasoned smoker could smoke a blunt to the face and be just fine. A weekend or even once-in-a-while smoker might take a blunt to the face and drive into a ditch. 

6. yeah. im not sure what the system should be this is fucking hard

7. heard it all before "yeah im a great driver when stoned" "yeah im a better driver when drunk" its all the same cannabis is proven to make you a worst driver (not that it needed proof that much is fairly obvious). Its all ok untill you plough into a 6 year old kid crossing the road and kill them then what do you tell the parents "sorry im usually a good driver when im completley baked". Its irresponsible and dangerous I mean literally just wait a couple of hours after your last toke and itll probably be ok but to drive stoned is no better then driving after 4 pints

8. Myself,,if I am too stoned to drive it isn't my idea to go anywhere,,let he who thunk it make the store run.

9. To be honest,in moderate use i drive better drunk than stoned. Not that i ever had an accident but when i had a bit to drink i drive with more confident than with mary

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. That confidence is the problem with drunk driving. The paranoia of stoned drivers generally make them ultra cautious.

Sent from somewhere over there.
    No, not there...over THERE.

11. I like driving high. Sorry bout it.

I actually enjoy driving in general though.

12. Stresses me out way too much

13. When I go out to party, the stoned people drive, the drunk people get to lean out the window and shout at pedestrians. It's really fun ahahah, my favorite pass time.

But really, I'm not all that worried about getting breathalized or what not for weed. I only get pulled over when I'm sober, because I'm always in a hurry unless I'm high.

Designated drivers in my circle are always stoned. Who goes to a party and doesn't take anything at all??

I'm not talking about foolish confidence, just more relaxed. When I'm driving high i sometimes feel anxious, i can definitely manage but I feel like I may not make the right decision in a split second situation.

15. Ridiculous post. You cannot compare cannabis and alcohol, they are two different substances that effect the human body differently. And there are studies in both directions in regards to driving stoned. Some people have anxiety for example and are anxious and edgy as hell behind the wheel unless they blaze first.

16. They already did that on nationl news In co. Both stoners failed.

17. Maybe they weren't stoners actually and just casual tokers?  :confused_2:

18. Nope. They had a occasional, frequent and pot head. Fail. They were all pretty said to watch drive. Push the propaganda. They were giggling hitting cones and just putting off the total stoner vibe. It was to make high driving look bad. I have never had a problem in the 10 years of heavy smoking and driving for me.

Very interesting.  And confirms my own observations.  I was going to quote a couple of passages but for some reason they don't copy right from that document.  Looks like a scan that has been OCR'd but that shouldn't pose a problem.  Off to investigate.

Thanks for that!