Driving and Weed

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Railer, Feb 8, 2015.

1. #1 Railer, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    In my experience, and all my friends who are more experienced than me and got me into smoking originally, have found that weed DOES NOT, in any way, impair your driving, motor skills, or reaction time.

I'm just really tired of all these fucking articles that say "researchers are attempting to create a new test for impaired driving while high on marijuana" or "marijuana impairs reaction time and coordination and is a dangerous drug to drive on"  or the more ignorant "yikes I'm scared to go out on the roadways now with all these people legally stoned out of their gourd".   Weed is not alcohol. 

4. The following is not allowed to be posted within our community:

¦j. Discussion of other drugs including pharmaceuticals, supplements and ‘legal' herbs used as intoxicants. Note: Cannabis, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco can be freely discussed
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-forum-feedback/899395-grasscitycom-forum-guidelines.html

I have a few stories, but first, I have driven high an uncountable amount of times, and have performed as good or better, with no noticeable effect on my skill, maybe even increase in skill due to concentration.

For example, there was one instance where I was driving on a dirt road, going too fast, (which is not a result of being reckless while high, its a result of me being a reckless idiot in general, in fact I tend to be more reckless sober)  , I was going about 45 on a dirt road that's about 1.5 lanes wide, at night.  I had just smoked.  First let me say this.  I can guarantee 90% of people would have crashed or splattered the obstacle.  I am about to go up this little hill, when out of nowhere a deer comes out in front of me literally like 20 feet away, which is not far going 45.  I instinctively swerved left then swiftly right, around the deer.  It happened in a split second, like boom boom left-right swerve.  I pulled over after that because I was shaking, but I bet most people would have splattered it from freaking out or swerved into a tree.  Fuck "weed impairs driving skill"  It was seriously something I don't even know if I would have pulled off sober.  Weed is an amazing plant with a psychoactive chemical composition that affects everyone differently, it calms some people down and lets them focus. 

A few others, I ride dirt bikes, at tracks, and though its not talked about much, its somewhat common for riders, especially the better ones to smoke before riding.  It puts you in that "zone" and helps you focus.  Most don't get ripped before going out, just a few hits of a sativa, but I personally know top amateur riders who dab out without the people that sponsor them knowing before racing and win pro amateur races.  now if youd like to tell me that weed slows reaction time and reduces coordination and motorskills then I really beg to differ. Because I have personally witnessed and experienced something that is at the top of the list for motor skills and coordination and reaction time.

Not saying that my opinion will change anything, I'm not trying to bitch I just want to see others opinions or stories that have smoked a lot and driven a lot lol.

2. I'll never advise people to drive high. If you know, you know. If you're not sure, you're not gonna get the motivation to give it a try from me.

I think it's easily possible to get too high to drive and not everyone can be safe.

3. #3 Michio Kaku, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    There is certainly a threshold that when broken, it's unsafe to drive. Different strains have different effects.
    The only time I've ever been to high to drive is when I smoke very heavy indicas, primarily out of laziness, and when I took 13 OG kush dabs which were well over 70% THC.. due to pure stonedness.
    It does take a lot to get impaired with weed but there is definitely certain moments when you just can't do it. I've driven under one of those circumstances where I was too high. I just kept trying to concentrate hard on the road, yet my thoughts were in a whole different world.
    I would've said the same thing as you, OP, 2 years ago, but now having had past experiences with driving after mass amounts of THC ingestion, no. I regularly will take 3-6 dabs of pure sativa/sativa dom (at least 70%) wax, and drive for hours just fine.

TL;DR Sativa dominant strains are less likely to impair you than strong indica strains. There are certain circumstances, the strain type, how it was grown, how it is smoked, how fast it is smoked, the setting, other things ingested throughout the day, all of those contribute to being too fucked up to drive.

Driving high, it's quite relaxing, one of my favorite things to do. Driving quadruple stoned - no bueno - especially at speeds over 40mph.

4. I wouldn't say "you should drive high" as a novice you can get too high, and while you might not actually be unsafe you will get paranoid and probably just drive very slow and extremely over cautiously, or if its like within your first 5 times smoking then you might actually  be dangerous.  that isn't what im talking about

5. in my experience, to get used to driving high, you just have to jump right in the car and do it. unsafe during the day, usually in a relatively small city after 10pm it's a lot safer.

6. #6 SlightlyStonedSD, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    If I'm not high I'm driving fast and furious. If I'm high I'm the safest and nicest driver on the road.

I'm cautious about endorsing it just because it looks bad for noobs and non cannabis users.

But between you, me, and the internet...
    [​IMG]

7. I always said I would never drive while high but a few nights ago I had no choice. I was over at a friend's house, getting high as fuck with him, when out of nowhere he says he's gotta go. If I had known there was a time limit I wouldn't have gotten so high lol. So anyway I go out to my car (with about a 20 to 25 minute drive ahead of me) and for a moment just sit there worried. Finally I tell myself it'd take too long to come down, I'd just have to do it. I started the car, got out to the main street, and became most like the most cautious driver on the road. My driving skills were definitely at their peak. I was super aware of everything, even spotting easily the moron running across the street in all black when it was dark. Although I was on high alert the entire way home, and do remember the drive, I'm still not quite sure HOW I got home lol.

I tried it again a few night later at a much shorter and safer distance, just to see. Again I became super cautious and aware of everything around me, keeping a constant speed at the limit, etc. I also noted a strange sensation that felt as though I was floating down the street, rather than driving. It did not affect my overall driving at all, and was amusing.

8. I'll drive high but I know where my limit is at. If I'm properly stoned I'm not driving a car until I come down some. I actually enjoy driving high though.

9. I hate driving in general but after vaping a sativa I actually enjoy it. I will not vape after an indica tho. That fosho slows down my reaction time and I've almost gotten into an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum